GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 Last Post byLast Post by

I have the same magnaflow too and love it, you can usually get a used one on ebay or cragislist. I wanted a valid warranty so I got it here. Magnaflow 93990. Also some of the forum sponsors usually have a sale going on. Either way its a great exhaust system, sounds great, and very easy to install.

Why would you put a bug deflector anyway? ;) I took mine off along with the side steps when I bought mine. If anyone wants to buy a 2000 silverado bug deflector that doesn't rattle $20 aha.
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS

My bug shield is GM. Never had a noise. However the AVS window shades/vents that i have on, once i hit 70 it starts to make this whistling sound which is pretty annoying, but i usually just turn the radio up a lil and then i dont hear it anymore
    2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L Z71 - 4x4

Default whistle

was curious if you(or anyone else) have experienced the whistle associated with a bug shield. Mine is the OEM one from GM. Not mind blowing but noticeable

Quote Originally Posted by fish4funjb View Post
    Has anyone else installed the AVS NBS Bug Shield? I did this and at 70 mph I get a windshield slapping noise. This is the most annoying thing I have heard yet with my truck. ANyone else have this installed and get these noises?

2010 Silverado 4x4 Z71
    5.3 , 6 Speed
    Factory Remote Start
    GM Oval Step Assist Bars

Default Bug Shield Noise

I installed a GM bug shield and got the same noise. The noise is coming from the plastic flaps over the hood hinges. While driving I moved to the front of the seat and the the flaps were slapping all over the place.

Yeah mine does it at over 60mph. Very annoying. Dealer applied glue/adhesive to the plastic strips on sides of windshield under warranty-very sloppy job too I might add. They told me that the NBS all have this issue when a bug shield is applied no matter the brand.
    Missoula, Montana 2009 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LTZplus Z71 6.2L Imperial Blue

Default Wind Noise

2003 Silvy with AVS deflector.Bought truck new in 2003.Have lived with the noise all this time. Finally bought some 3m moulding tape(double sided ), peeled back weather stripping on sides of windshield,with doors open, took out the top 4, torx bit screws, left the very bottom screw in the plastic trim on side of windshield, rotated trim piece down, cleaned windshield and plastic with windex and rubbing alchohol. With trim peice rolled down applied 3in strip over factory strip after cleaning it off, then the whole length of windshield parrallel with edge. Then replaced trim,pulled off the red backing once trim was in place properly, pressed firmly over all areas with the tape. Don't worry there will be tape sticking out, then carefully with a zazor blade cut excess without cutting into plastic moulding, pull off. Replace weather stripping, then call it done. Noise gone for good!

I think I've got this same dang problem and it's driving me nutz at highway speeds and when it's windy out! I have the bug shield and have checked for all and any loose plastic, etc., under the hood and under the wipers. So it appears it's the stripping around the windshield? I'm going to remove the bug deflector and see if that fixes the problem first. If it does, I'll make a call on whether the deflector is worth it or not and try the 3M tape if so.

I purchased mine from weathertech and i have NEVER heard anything from it or seen the flapping of it at high speeds.
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"

I just ordered one from AutoAnything.com ... the EGR (german made?) part number 391921 ... for my '04 Silverado 1500. They were having a 15% discount sale, free shipping (FEDEX ground), and no VA state sales tax ... total price was $50.96

I take at least one trip to central FL each year (this year, I'll have gone twice)... I also put aluminum screen behind the grill and in front of the radiator... to reduce messy BUG SPLATZ! Thanks for the thread/discussion... the bug deflector won't arrive for about a week (what with cross-country shipping, holiday packages clogging the system and all), but it should be here before I set out on my next 2,000 mile trip to FL (over the upcoming holidays). I'll report back here if the EGR model causes any noticeable noise problems.