GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stinger44 View Post
    I think I've got this same dang problem and it's driving me nutz at highway speeds and when it's windy out! I have the bug shield and have checked for all and any loose plastic, etc., under the hood and under the wipers. So it appears it's the stripping around the windshield? I'm going to remove the bug deflector and see if that fixes the problem first. If it does, I'll make a call on whether the deflector is worth it or not and try the 3M tape if so.
    Well, that was definitely the problem. I took the deflector off and the noise is gone. I'll live without the deflector, no biggie.
    2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 w/ext cab and stepside bed.

('04 Silverado 1500 reg cab long bed) ... bug deflector arrived & installed... sure enough, the flaps that cover the hood hinges RATTLE noisily around 55 MPH (have not gone above that, and not a problem at lower speeds). I'll be keeping the deflector on, for my upcoming road trip to FL. This particular deflector is held in place by five screws (no tape involved), so it's easily removed & reinstalled (whenever I need to do so).

I have a 2010 Silverado and I just bought a WeatherTech bug shield for it. After I installed it I heard the same flapping/tapping noise coming from the front. At first I thought it was the edges of the bug shield itself hitting the hood, since the outside 3-4" are not supported by anything underneath. But after searching the internet for causes, and finding I wasn't alone and mostly everyone else says its the side of the windshield flapping, I am going to use some tape and test it to see if thats really the issue. If it is, I will just get some automotive silicone and squeeze some under the weatherstripping and hopefully that works.

Blog Entries

I know you can get clear silicone bumper pads that are double-sided-tape.....simply put them between the
    Bug Deflector and your truck hood...eliminates movement, which in turn is probably where some of the noise
    is reverberating from right towards your windshiled...fyi, old Bug deflectors from about 15 years ago were mostly
    flat.....had less noise, but boy did they flap in the wind like a lost kite !!!!
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart

Legend

Blog Entries

I have the AVS AeroSkin deflector. It sticks directly to the hoods surface. No rattles and no loss of line of vision. I love it!!!

(Scott) Myrtle Beach, SC
    January 2012 ROTM WINNER
    2011 GMC Sierra Z71 MAX 6.2 L w/ Trailering Package
    Rough Country, XD Rockstars, Nitto Trail Grapplers, N Fab, Lund Genesis, Putco, Gator Grip,
    Flowmaster 40 series, Diablosport InTune, Banks Ram Air CAI,
    WeatherTech, AVS Aeroskin, Tow Mirrors, Upgradeyourauto.com

Default Bug shield causing tapping noise on windshield

Hello blue1992,
    I also have a 2010 Silverado with a bug shield tht is causing annoying tapping noise on the right side of the windshield starting at about 65 to 70 mph. Did you find a solution and would you mind sharing? Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Z79247
    I have the AVS AeroSkin deflector. It sticks directly to the hoods surface. No rattles and no loss of line of vision. I love it!!!
    I bought the aeroskin as well, its by far the best on the market, no noise like all my other bug shields had, looks sweet to
    Hitch!

2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD-6.0L-Auto-4x4-Leather

Our 2011 had the GM deflector installed by the dealer and it caused a flapping/tapping noise from the top of the windshield. I asked the service department about the noise and they were well aware what caused it and how to fix it at no cost. They remove the top trim from the windshield and add extra insulation to the top, then re-install the top trim. Worked perfectly, the noise is gone.

Bob(The Texan) & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
    2011 Silverado SLT, EC, 4x4, max tow package w/ 2010 Silver Rzr in back.
    http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=3680

I just read thru the whole thread and i've heard three different suggestions as to what the problem is.

It sounds to me like the main problem is that the bug deflector is changing the shape of the front end of the truck, which is altering the aerodynamics of the vehicle, causing the wind to hit areas harder in spots than in others.

Different companies offer different styles of bug deflectors and different model years have different designs, 99-02 had one front end, 03-05 had another, in 06 they changed the hood, and in 07 entirely new body style. All with different aerodynamics, especially when an aftermarket bug deflecter is added.

It really depends on what style bug deflector is being used and the body style of the truck its being applied to.

Like several have mentioned, certain combinations of body style and bug deflectors work well together with no noise at all, so when ordering this provides a good starting point. However, if you're unlucky to have already purchased one are being tormented by a sound gremlin like many others have, then like already mentioned just do a little detective work and find where the noise is coming from and by the sounds of it the problem can be solved with just a bit of double sided 3M padded tape.

If You're dead set of installing a Bug Deflector because it will "complete the look you're going for" I wouldn't let this small issue turn you away, especially since it sounds to be a straight forward, 30 minute, drive way fix.

Hope this helps.

-BFG-

mine ratles little if ever. my bug bouncer is a gm accesory and has small rubber pads between it and the hood. flexes very little when pushed on.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast