GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Cracked Transmission tailshaft/extension housing - 95 burb 4x4

Hey all,

Today I finally got around to working on the '95 Suburban. A few months back, I broke the driveshaft. It's been sitting since, because it had a leak near the transfer case, which I thought was just a seal.

Turns out, the housing on the part between the actual transmission and transfer case is cracked badly. This is the part between the trans pan and transfer case - the extension housing/tailshaft.

I originally thought the entire trans case was bad, but seeing this part can be removed, I was hoping to price out a new one. Is the correct terminology the extension housing or tailshaft, and does anyone know if these have changed in the various years?

Reason I ask that is I think this is what I need: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4l60E...ayphotohosting

As you can see, it specifies '97 and up. I have a 4l60-e and should be a 241c transfer case.

Also, does anyone know will I have to pull the entire trans? Is swapping the tailshaft a fairly easy endeavor?

Thanks!

Well, I'm not sure how well I described things earlier, but in the end, I found out I had bigger problems.

I got the 'burb up on jackstands, and pulled the transfer case out. I then unbolted the trans mount, and pulled out the extension housing.

Anyway, as the pics show, it wasn't the extension housing that broke, but the actual transmission case snapped in half.

It's not looking good for this truck...

Transfer case removed:

Here's the extension housing, still bolted the "back" of the transmission, which is no longer attached to the transmission.

The back of the trans still in the truck:

Unfortunately, I thought my only big issue was a broken driveshaft. The ujoint up front failed. Now I'm wondering what broke first...the ujoint or the trans case. This happened on a street, no offroading.

Anyway...the transmission is a recent install. It was put in by the previous owner (who I know) and was a GM Goodwrench rebuilt unit done at a dealer. It only has about 20k on it...

I've heard that 4x4 transmissions have larger thicker cases than 4x2 ad car versions. Is there anyway to know that the correct trans was used? Unfortunately I doubt this is under warranty unless can I find out the transmission installed is not correct.

the 4x4 transmissions have shorter tailshaft sections that are designed to bolt up to the transfer case. Now whether they are thicker or not, I have no clue. I don't think so however....
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage