GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Hybrid View

Default How to: De-Badge and De-Mold your vehicle

Not sure if this was previously done but thought i might throw some knowledge at you guys

This is a 2002 Silverado so the adhesives have had a good amount of time to set in...lol

Supplies Used
    1. Astro 400E Smart Eraser Pad-10.00 (BOUGHT FROM NAPA)
    2. Strong Fishing Line
    3. Abrasive Compound I chose Turtle Wax Polishing Compound-3.00
    4. Old Drill
    5. Gloves

Sorry I had already removed the badges before I decided to do this How To Tutorial so I will start with the molding which is the same removal just a bigger task

I began by using fishing line to "saw" away at the adhesive tape on the molding *Tip* make sure you use a strong line mine was very brittle and became so what annoying...lol *Tip* Unlike the badges the molding is stronger so once I had it removed about 6 inches with fishing line I could grab the molding and pull it the rest of the way off.

Once the molding was removed I used the Eraser Wheel to remove the tape left behind *Tip* I bought two wheels but was able to remove badges and molding with one they last awhile *Tip* The Eraser Wheel is actually made to fit on another tool but the stud is long enough on the back to fit in a drill

As you can see the Eraser Wheel removes the adhesive very well and fairly quickly I can imagine how long this would take using Goo Gone..lol The Eraser Wheel leaves a residue behind that is majorly cleaned off by soap and water.

After "erasing" the adhesive I washed the area with soap and water very good then I used the turtle wax compound to remove the excess smudges and wax the area

As you can see the 1500 emblem and molding is removed. This complete job took a better half of my day to do but I like it and think it was worth it. HOPE THIS WILL HELP YOU GUYS

Last edited by bzboardco; 12-31-2008 at 02:40 AM.

Cool beans, I always thought those moldings were punched in!
    IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT

2000 CHEVY SILVERADO 1500
    - BLACKED OUT BOW TIE
    - RHINO LINER
    - BLUE LED CLUSTER
    - SOUND SYSTEM
    - SOFT WHITE LED DOME LIGHT :smile:

- SOON -
    - SOFT WHITE LEDs THROUGH OUT INTERIOR

Well none of them were punched through on a 2002 can't say if they are or aren't on newer or older models i guess it is something where you just do it and pray...lol

lol yeah.. nice clean up job too, I thought you were scratchin the hell outa your truck at first with that eraser wheel

Quote Originally Posted by oOcornflakeOo View Post
    Cool beans, I always thought those moldings were punched in!
    My '99 was glued on too. Now the front bumper's cladding is 'punched in'. I'll be looking at swapping bumpers with my '94 C2500 I think...it's a smoothie. Otherwise, it'll be an LMC bumper for me.
    Rob
    1999 Suburban C1500 LS 5.7 K&N filter, VentVisors, debadged aka "LAAT/i...Larty"
    1994 C2500 454. Ex-Forest Service beastie. aka "Redneck"
    2006 Saturn Ion...the Wife's car.
    Empty spot that needs a Jeep...

I'd recommend doing it the sooner the better. Ive had everything removed for awhile other than my door molding. I just removed those and there sooo much glue, thank god it's finals week and I can go back home and get it in the shop. She might be getting a new jet black paint job if I can get bumper this weekend
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Good info. It will be usefull for sure.
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

came out good considering you have an older red truck. Well done.

I dont get why people take the 1500 and all off there truck. i mean i would have people to know what i have instead of asking is it a 4x4, 1500 or 2500 or whatever

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan_Z71 View Post
    I dont get why people take the 1500 and all off there truck. i mean i would have people to know what i have instead of asking is it a 4x4, 1500 or 2500 or whatever

For that nice clean look. It's all part of aesthetic mods. Some like a certain colour, some like the clean shaven look, some like the big lifted look, etc etc. If you are going to mod at all.. where to you draw the line? New grill? Chrome door handle covers? Replacing the bowtie with a yellow one? Taking out the ride height and lowering it by 2"? *shrugs*

If you have more than one person a year asking you what kind of truck you have then you need to hang out in new places. LOL

Also - what does the guy sitting behind you at the red light care if he knows you have a Z71 or not?

Just my $.02
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by