GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default need crash course on GM trucks

Hey guys: I am a newbie to this forum. I have been a Ford man for the last 13 years, when I traded my 95 Z71 for a 97 F150. My news for all is I am coming back, as my GM family is glad to see my return, but I need your help. I am looking for a truck, and I need a crash course in what to be careful of. My 04 F150 has spark plug issues, injector issues and now, a burnt up engine. For these reasons I am returning to GM and need your help in steering away from known problems or issues in the GM truck family. Any help will be appreciated: Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum! What year chevy's are you looking at? Brand new or a few years old?
    Dan
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 350 vortec
    1967 Jeep M725 ambulance 230 tornado
    1990 Cherokee Limited- 3 inch lift on 33's
    ...and every one of em has issues

If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to send me or any other GMTC moderators a PM

Welcome back! Also, are you looking for a truck or SUV?
    ANDREW
    2005 Chevrolet Silverado 4.3L V6
    -Dual exhaust
    -K&N Cold Air Intake
    -8000K HID Headlights

Quote Originally Posted by 95CTburb19 View Post
    Welcome to the forum! What year chevy's are you looking at? Brand new or a few years old?
    Hi guys: Well I am a truck man thru & thru: I really don't need all the fancy do dads like I have on my Lariat (which do me alot of good now) but I do have 2 teenages and have had extended cabs im my last 3 (including my 95 Z71). I may give up my 4X4 and leather, but I have to zero in on some thing under $20,000 for sure, really less, say $10,000. I did find a 2004 ext cab 2 wd with the 5.3 engine, but high miles, like 82,000.

http://www.brondesfordmaumee.com/Gen...Name=Brondes.M

I am not working at the moment, have great credit and will take a big loss on my 04 Lariat, oweing about 12 grand on a truck with a blown motor (warantee won't cover piston & valves cause injector caused problem, and injectors not under warantee). But thats my problem and its another story.
    I know nothing about the Avalanch or other smaller truck, but @ 6'2" and 235 I may just not fit...
    I just really need overview on any major known issues or mechanical or engine sizes lets say, years etc to stay away from. I know the Fords pretty good, but changing back to the bowtie will take some re-training.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSilverado11 View Post
    Welcome back! Also, are you looking for a truck or SUV?
    You know I just discussed that with my wife. Having room for 4 adults is importaant, but I do tow a trailer, 7 X14 enclosed every now and then. It is a tall trailer and if I give up the truck, I more than likely will need to use the trailer more often.

Welcome (back) to GM, sorry about the bad luck with the Ford, that stinks that they didn't validate the warranty, how many miles on it when it went down? You should be able to find something I think to meet your needs.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the site and good luck on your search!
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Welcome (back) to GM, sorry about the bad luck with the Ford, that stinks that they didn't validate the warranty, how many miles on it when it went down? You should be able to find something I think to meet your needs.
    My 04 had 46,000 and change, after new plugs (the ones that break off in the heads). I hung some Duler Revos on it, leveling kit, Reflex shocks, Silverstars, and more. Came off a 2 year lease and it came with an Certified Pre-Owned warantee... But you know the 97 F150 I traded had 101,000 on it and was never touched. I even ran 86,000 and change brfore I touched the barkes. Still see it go down the street, no rust and looks great.
    My 95 Z71 was a real turn off to say the least. Run like a tank, TBI gave 9 & 10 miles mpg and a bunch of little things, like broken seat frame, door handle 4 wheel drive switch and on & on. My family are GM 100% and I was since late 70's. I have had Buicks, Regal and still a 68 Skylark in the garage, Chevy Lumina, Bretta and Astro van. I even had a Cutlass with a 350 bow tie under the hood... Thoes were the days.
    But since 85 I have been a truck man myself, and wife gets strickly GM whatever she wants. Employee discounts always helped.
    I know there are guys out here that have been on the forums and know the GM's much better than me. I just want to steer clear of more trouble and all badges have some/

Legend

Well you mentioned an Avalanche before, if you can find on in your price range, they are not a pickup , they are actually built on a suburban frame with more comfort in mind and the bed for the in-case once in a while dirt or plywood. My brother owns a 01 Z71 silvy and has never had a problem, was the old mans first. He has low miles but still a great truck, I have a 99 Suburban and no REAL problems just more that come along with an 11 year old truck.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16