GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
    Jr. Mechanic

Default Finally Fixing My Truck!

My truck was in an accident Christmas Eve morning, as I skidded on some black ice. My left front fender,corner left side of the hood and bumper got a lil bent up. I got a fender and a left outer bumper bracket from the junkyard for $75. As of now, I took the old fender off and cleaned up the new one. Had to take a whole lot of stuff off of the old one just to get it off. With the holidays and the kids, it ain't been easy, but progress is being made. While I'm at it, the next time I go in the garage, I'mma take some pics. One problem setting me back is that I see that my bumper is a lil bent so the bracket right now is doing me no good. And I don't wanna put the fender on til I get the bumper on becuz with the fender off, it makes things alot easier to get to. Funny thing is, if i still have my newer Range Rover, it prolly would have wrecked the whole front with them fiberglass bodies they have.
    1997 GMC Suburban
    22 inch Ice Metal Rims
    170k and still truckin'

Legend

Blog Entries

Welcome to the GMTC. Sounds like you have yourself a little project! That kind of stuff is fun, though. Easier to bolt and unbolt and bang into place and tweak this and that than it is to find and fix electrical problems, running problems, and/or shifting problems! Good luck with it all!
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Springthing View Post
    Welcome to the GMTC. Sounds like you have yourself a little project! That kind of stuff is fun, though. Easier to bolt and unbolt and bang into place and tweak this and that than it is to find and fix electrical problems, running problems, and/or shifting problems! Good luck with it all!
    I'll leave the running and the shifting problems to the pros. I'd never try that. I'd just be killing my truck slowly! As far as the electric, I might use deductive reasoning, but thats for the pros too!

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Yo, Bro, don't sell yourself short, same thing I tell Springthing, we have our trials and trivulations, but with a little help, solid motivation and 21,000+ people helping, ain't no way your not going to get it fixed, any part of it.......Glad to see you got time to work on it. Can you use a hammer, dolly, torches to correct the bumper or is it that bad???? Chrome, painted or covered?

Jeff
    JMoney02

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by JMoney02 View Post
    Yo, Bro, don't sell yourself short, same thing I tell Springthing, we have our trials and trivulations, but with a little help, solid motivation and 21,000+ people helping, ain't no way your not going to get it fixed, any part of it.......Glad to see you got time to work on it. Can you use a hammer, dolly, torches to correct the bumper or is it that bad???? Chrome, painted or covered?

Jeff
    If I had the proper tools, I'd prolly e able to fix it. It's chrome and the funny thing is, it's bent right in the middle. Kinda shaped like and upside down "V" . I'mma try to go take some pics. BRB

Jr. Mechanic

My Baby feeling abandoned and dirty in the garage!

The new/used fender that will go on.

The left end of the bumper that is pushed back to the tire. She'll go forward, but turning may slash tire.

Front end of bumper

Jr. Mechanic

Closer view

Old fender with the fender flare removed.

Most likely after everything is fixed, I'mma sand her down, compound her and give her a new paint job. Not too sure if I'mma stay with the original color or change it yet. I was thinkin of a dark smoked gray. With the tinted windows being black along with the door handles, I may dye the rims black and leave the lips chrome. Then add this Grille. I may have to photoshop this to see what it actually looks like.

Sr. Apprentice

Default Finally fixing my truck

Alot of times you can take a come a long and hook it up to the bumper and a tree or other fixed object and pull it out a bit it`s not a hard job and you may want to check your radiator support out to. It may need a little straighting also, that way your grill will line up right. You probably didn`t get into the frame horns , just a little hammering and dolly work and pulling and you`ll be good as new

I would have to say dark smoke gray with that new grille should look sweet.

P.S. good luck with that bumper i bent one in the same spot they don't ever get back straight enough for a the trim peace to have a good spacing all the way across.
    Corey M (CoDaChrome™)
    the vehicles I have/had
    1989 GMC 2500 4wd (Sold)
    1989 Palomino hard-side popup
    1990 GMC 2500 pickup 2wd
    1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (Beater) (sold)
    1997 GMC jimmy sle 4wd (Sold)
    1999 Silverado Z71 offroad
    2000 Sunline 30' travel trailer
    2003 Silverado Z71 offroad
    2006 Yamaha wolverine 450 4wd

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Like the Trim idea, good match, replace the bumper, you'll never get it straight and if you do you'll damage the chrome, but the rest I think will look sweet>>>>>

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by