GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question 2000 Tahoe Z71... brake problem???

So I have a 2000 Tahoe Z71 (4 dr 5.7L old body style for those who arent familiar), and I was having some problems with the brakes. My mechanic replaced the front pads and turned the rotors. He also freed up a stuck caliper on the drivers side. The truck stops fine now, which is great, but I'm still getting some noise from the front end. Its a low rubbing or soft grinding noise that happens when I'm driving or stopping, so I think its unrelated to the brake problems. Of course, the caliper could be stuck again. I'm also now experiencing some shuddering to my steering wheel which wasnt there before the brakes were done.

Can someone steer me in the right direction? Anyone with a similar issue I'm thinking maybe the ball joints...?

Normally I dont have an issue with throwing the car up on ramps in the driveway and crawling under to take a look but this time of year with the snow hinders that a bit. Trying to avoid hitting the mechanic again because I'm sure it will be bad news...

The truck is pretty sound otherwise. Besides the fuel pump, tune ups (inc fluid/filter changes) and brakes I havent dont anything else mechanically to this in the two years I've owned it. It does have one issue with the 4wd not engaging in the front drivers side wheel though (a busted seal and some internal damage).
    Chevy Brake
    Tahoe Parts
    2000 Tahoe Limited- like a rock!

Blog Entries

It sounds to me that you still have a caliper problem and the shuddering in the steering wheel (I'm assuming while braking) could mean that your rotors are warped and need to be replaced.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

yeah thats what I was thinking too on the brake caliper issue. The shuddering/vibrating occurs when I'm not braking. Seems to be more apparent at higher speeds. I should check the lugs make sure they are all tight on the wheels. I had some vandalism issues in the past... most of the glass in the truck has been replaced at least once. I had a wheel mysteriously come flying off my other car while I was driving (my 1990 Crown Vic project car). The car is no longer drivable.

Legend

yeah, stuck caliper means replace it. Probably get new rotors as well. Should just take a peak at the CV axles too.
    GM Parts
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16