GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default New Member Needing

Hello,

I am new to the forum and I am looking for outside mirror parts for my 1995 Chevy LT Suburban. According to the rules in the Marketplace section I cannot post a For Sale item, but that is not what I need to do. I guess the filter just looks at how many posts I have made, and I am not up to 10, so, no go.

Anyway, I have a 1995 Suburban 4x4 that I have owned for 8 years nad my son recently hit a mailbox so the mirror glass broke out of the passenger side mirror. I have checked with the dealer, and I can buy the mirror glass, but not the hardware and it is missing one of the threaded adjustment screws. Does anyone have any idea where I can pick up that adjustment screw? I don't want to buy the whole mirror, but if someone has an mirror that works, and the screw, or just the screw, that would be great.

Thanks,
    Terry
    Last edited by bimmer84; 12-24-2008 at 05:00 PM. Reason: can't spell

Blog Entries

Welcome to the site. Unless someone has a used mirror they could sell you, I would look at getting an aftermarket replacement. The glass brokeout of the drivers mirror on our 2001 suburban and the dealer wanted $300 for just the glass! I found an aftermarket mirror on autopartswarehouse.com that is a direct replacement for the stock mirror at only $69. Works and looks like the factory mirror.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by dwill3015 View Post
    Welcome to the site. Unless someone has a used mirror they could sell you, I would look at getting an aftermarket replacement. The glass brokeout of the drivers mirror on our 2001 suburban and the dealer wanted $300 for just the glass! I found an aftermarket mirror on autopartswarehouse.com that is a direct replacement for the stock mirror at only $69. Works and looks like the factory mirror.
    Thanks Darcy! did you get the whole mirror for that price, or just the glass? I need the glass, but I also need the screw that plugs into the back of the mirror.

*** Update ****

Darcy, I found it on autopartswarehouse.com. Thanks for the excellent advice. You saved me a lot of grief! Merry Christmas!
    Last edited by bimmer84; 12-24-2008 at 06:35 PM.

welcome to the site!
    Glad to have ya!
    Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses:

Welcome to the site. You might wanna check out Ebay as well, I found individual mirrors there pretty cheap.
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

Quote Originally Posted by ct9a View Post
    Welcome to the site. You might wanna check out Ebay as well, I found individual mirrors there pretty cheap.
    Thanks! I ordered from the autopartswarehouse but eBay is a good suggestion as well.

Jr. Mechanic

Even though you found what you were looking for, you can always check the junkyard or a "U-Pull It" yard. Thats the good thing about having an older vehicle. And thanks for the website autopartswarehouse.com.
    I never heard of it, but will check it out.
    1997 GMC Suburban
    22 inch Ice Metal Rims
    170k and still truckin'

Quote Originally Posted by ct9a View Post
    I see you have a 94 Suburban. Mine is a 95. I started to take off the old mirror in preparation for the new one. Mine has a small trim piece that sits on top the door trim and covers the "triangle" shaped part of the front part of the window where the mirror attaches. By removing the small triangle shaped piece of trim I was able to access the 3 nuts that hold the mirror to the door. If that is all there was to it, I could just mount the new mirror and I would be done. But, nooooOOooo, it looks like I will have to take the entire piece of door trim off because the electric mirror wire is joined down in the door, too far down for my fingers to disconnect it.

Am I right? Or is there still a simple way to do this? Anyone??? Please help. Any guidance on getting the door trim off would be appreciated as well.

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bimmer84 View Post
    I see you have a 94 Suburban. Mine is a 95. I started to take off the old mirror in preparation for the new one. Mine has a small trim piece that sits on top the door trim and covers the "triangle" shaped part of the front part of the window where the mirror attaches. By removing the small triangle shaped piece of trim I was able to access the 3 nuts that hold the mirror to the door. If that is all there was to it, I could just mount the new mirror and I would be done. But, nooooOOooo, it looks like I will have to take the entire piece of door trim off because the electric mirror wire is joined down in the door, too far down for my fingers to disconnect it.

Am I right? Or is there still a simple way to do this? Anyone??? Please help. Any guidance on getting the door trim off would be appreciated as well.
    First Welcome, second LMC Truck is another excellent place for parts and third, your RIGHT! If you have only the manual mirror your job is easy. Well with any electrical accessories, you must take off the additional panel to get at the connector to swap them out. I suggest plastic door panel tools for removal, don't use screwdrivers, that is not what they were intended for, they can/will cause damage.
    You need to remove in steps to get to removing the panel, not hard, time consuming more. Get yourself
    a panel fastener removal tool for the fasteners that hold the panel to the inner shell, you can pull hard and remove but with the tool makes it a little easier and less you will need to replace. Also, try to keep you hands clean often, some of the grease/dirt can transfer to the panels and be a real pain to get off and if you have throw away rubber gloves you can use them.... Hope this helps. Tools can be from Sears, Northern Tools, Harbor Frieght, ETC..... Let me know if we can help more....

Jeff
    JMoney02

Quote Originally Posted by JMoney02 View Post
    First Welcome, second LMC Truck is another excellent place for parts and third, your RIGHT! If you have only the manual mirror your job is easy. Well with any electrical accessories, you must take off the additional panel to get at the connector to swap them out. I suggest plastic door panel tools for removal, don't use screwdrivers, that is not what they were intended for, they can/will cause damage.
    You need to remove in steps to get to removing the panel, not hard, time consuming more. Get yourself
    a panel fastener removal tool for the fasteners that hold the panel to the inner shell, you can pull hard and remove but with the tool makes it a little easier and less you will need to replace. Also, try to keep you hands clean often, some of the grease/dirt can transfer to the panels and be a real pain to get off and if you have throw away rubber gloves you can use them.... Hope this helps. Tools can be from Sears, Northern Tools, Harbor Frieght, ETC..... Let me know if we can help more....

Jeff
    Thanks Jeff. I took the door panel off yesterday (fortunately, I have a good door panel tool) and then removed the inner panel, but couldn't figure out what to do with the glass. I am not sure if this should be done with the window up, or down. I tried it both ways and then gave up and put everything back together. The real problem is that even if I get that second panel off and the glass out of the way, I don't see enough room to get up there with my hand and unclasp the wire. This may not be one of Chevy's better ideas.

Anyway, now I am considering just snipping the wire at the entry point into the door from the mirror, and splicing the wires together. It is not what I want to do, it is just becoming the convenient option. Any thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by