Results 1 to 3 of 3
Thread: Help!!! Charging system!!!
01-07-2009, 07:49 PM #1
Help!!! Charging system!!!
Sorry - I know I'm multi-posting, but its urgent!
URGENT!!! I need the truck to move tomorrow.
Tonight, my charging system display in my 2001 Silverado 1500, 4.8L would randomly come on for a few seconds, and I'm scared it could be a serious problem. If anyone could help, that would be great.
Here's the rundown:
- Message center would show charging system light
- fuel gauge & temp. gauge would drop to 0
- Automatic gear indicator would turn off (gears would show, but not that I was in drive)
- Voltage gauge stayed constant (around 15ish - a little high, but it seemed ok)
- NO electronics dimmed, failed, or malfunctioned, other than instrument cluster
- power brakes and steering still worked
- No changes in how the engine ran
- only accessories on were heater, auto dim mirror, and HID headlights
- at one point, the entire instrument cluster went into the startup test, with all lights on (airbag, brake, etc.)
What I've figured out:
- It shouldn't be my new HID's (first drive with them) because it happened with standard high beams on
- Drive belt on alternator appears OK - its old but its in a good enough shape
- Alternator seems to be spinning...
- This DID NOT happen at all while at a stop or idleing.
I REALLY NEED THE TRUCK TOMORROW, as I'm moving, so if anyone could help me out, it would be great. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by pmf608; 01-07-2009 at 08:31 PM.
2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck
01-07-2009, 07:52 PM #2
- Join Date
- Feb 2007
The only place your lacking juice is the dash?
Sounds like a circuit breaker problem or an intermittent ground
01-07-2009, 07:56 PM #3
Thanks. I think it could be something to do with the instrument cluster, because all gauges, lights, accessories, etc. were fine except the message center, gear indicator, fuel gauge, and temp gauge
By kb7586 in forum General Chevy & GM Tech QuestionsReplies: 1Last Post: 02-16-2010, 10:48 PM
By js1265 in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)Replies: 2Last Post: 01-27-2010, 07:22 AM
By pmf608 in forum General Chevy & GM Tech QuestionsReplies: 6Last Post: 01-13-2009, 08:40 PM
By pmf608 in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)Replies: 2Last Post: 01-07-2009, 09:28 PM
By matt in forum Chevy Trailblazer Forum (GMC Envoy)Replies: 5Last Post: 12-13-2006, 05:08 AM