GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Grinding sound coming from front end under braking of 99 Silverado???

Hey all. I'm new to the site. I'm actually a domestic V8 car guy myself, but my mother-in-law's been having a problem with her 1999 Silverado 1500 2WD. Under braking it makes this GRINDING noise. I, being somewhat mechanically inclined, immediately attributed it to bad brakes (makes that commom metal on metal sound when pads are shot). Well, I pulled the calipers and pads did'nt look bad. Changed them anyways along with new front calipers as well. So basically an all new front brake setup. Drove the truck and the problem is still there! Can anyone point me in the right direction on this one?? THANKS.

-Matt

I know you said FRONT end but what about the rear brakes? stranger things have happend.
    08 sierra crew cab 22" gm wheels,chrome GM grille,soft tonneau,40 series flowmaster,pioneer avic900 in dash navigation unit,2 kicker 10"s alpine 300 amp,rear leveling shackles,tinted windows.

When you had the front brakes apart did you check the hub bearings? If so how'd they feel?

it could be coming from the front metal plate or from the back and the noise could transfer and check the wheel bearings that would do it to

Quote Originally Posted by GA SIERRA View Post
    I know you said FRONT end but what about the rear brakes? stranger things have happend.

Well, it would have paid to have someone stand outside the truck, or myself, and LISTEN externally to see where the noise was coming from. I put COMPLETELY new brakes on the front (rotors, pads, and calipers). No change. Had my wife drive the truck as I stood outside it. Come to find out it's the rear right brake!! Pads look SHOT on both sides. Think I'm going to do pads and rotors and new calipers on the rear as well. Rather have all new brakes the whole way around. Got all the parts yesterday to do the rear. Probably get a start on it this afternoon. Yeah

happy you found your problem!!
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

glad to see you found the problem. look at the parking brakes while your doing the rears.
    Last edited by GA SIERRA; 01-15-2009 at 05:29 AM.