GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1999-2005 Emergency brake failure.

I am here because my truck just failed its annual inspection for the E brake not working. They quoted me anywhere from $90 (simple adjustment of a component) - $800 (complete rebuild of the rear braking system). I had the weekend to investigate the issue and found that these estimates were not out of the ordinary because of the unique brake system these vehicles have.

I did some research and found that this is not an uncommon occurrence for my model of vehicle, apparently itís a known issue with many 1999-2005 model GMC and Chevrolet trucks and SUVs. I was told there was a recall for it. I found the recall detailed below.

My position in this argument is that I have heard back from the shop and because I WILL have to have the rear drivers side brakes rebuilt it will cost me about $600 to repair. $600 for a $28 inspection sticker and an E brake I have and will NEVER use.

The issue is that the recall is worded so that is seems that only manual transmissions will have this issue.

The fact of the matter is that the transmission type has nothing to do with the brake system that was installed on 1999-2005 GMC and Chevrolet trucks and SUVs failing. The stipulation is that manual transmission vehicles actually use their parking brake and automatic transmissions donít use them as frequently. However that dose not change the fact that the Parking/ Emergency brake is required for state vehicle inspection (In Texas anyway).

The bottom line is that I donít want to pay for repairs of a known issue that Chevrolet has acknowledged however through lawyer verbiage has been able to escape responsibility for. $600 is a lot of money and the fact that they will not accept responsibility only amplifies the reasons they are now in the predicament they are in. I find myself an unwilling supporter of a company that has decided to ignore its responsibility. I have now financially supported them 3 times. First when I bought the truck, then when they got their economic bail out package and now be fixing their faulty, known, and acknowledged poor judgment.

I plan to contact Chevrolet at the number mentioned in the recall (1-800-630-2438) and argue my position and see what happens. I know they have a reimbursement program for recall repairs that come out of your pocket. Iíll follow up here with my results. Has anyone else had a similar experience here?

Auto Recall Date:
    APR 22, 2005
    Vehicle Component: PARKING BRAKE
    Estimated Vehicles Affected: 90242
    Model Affected
    1999 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
    1999 Chevrolet Silverado Defect Summary:
    ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS AND BUILT WITH EITHER PBR PARKING BRAKE SYSTEMS OR TRW PARKING BRAKE SYSTEMS, THE PARKING BRAKE FRICTION LININGS MAY WEAR TO AN EXTENT WHERE THE PARKING BRAKE CAN BECOME INEFFECTIVE IN IMMOBILIZING A PARKED VEHICLE.
    Defect Consequence:
    IF THE PARKING BRAKE DOES NOT HOLD, UNINTENDED VEHICLE MOVEMENT COULD OCCUR, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL INSTALL A LOW-FORCE SPRING CLIP RETAINER FOR VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A PBR PARKING BRAKE SYSTEM. ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE TRW PARKING BRAKE SYSTEM, DEALERS WILL INSTALL A REDESIGNED PARKING BRAKE CABLE ASSEMBLY. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JULY 29, 2005. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438 OR GMC AT 1-866-996-9463.
    Estimated Vehicles Affected:
    Notes:
    GENERAL MOTORS CORP. 05042

Hey Chappy, welcome to the site.

Where in Tx are you? There might be someone near you that may be able to help you take a look at your brakes and get them fixed up for you.

You said that the cost was not out of line "because of the unique brake system these vehicles have". What is unique about these that could justify $90 for an adjustment? I'm not coming down on you, just trying to see what causes the uniqueness.

Do you have rear disc brakes or drums?

If you are in the DFW area, I may be able to give you a hand on this.
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

From what I understand its called a Banksia Park Brake made by a company out of Australia called PBR. It a patented park brake system that uses a single break pad instead of a typical 2 pad layout along with a lot of other small uniqueness it uses less moving parts. At this point I'm just quoting the brochure. I’ve put the link below. The $90 adjustment was the friction lining adjustment but that was only good for the passengers side the drivers side had come apart and cut the drum badly.

I appreciate the offer of assistance but I really need my truck inspected I do a lot of highway driving and don’t want to have to explain to the trooper or local cop what’s going on. I've already told the shop to proceed with the repairs.

http://www.pbr.com.au/downloads/broc...a_Brochure.pdf

Keep us posted on your progress with the recall and hang around here and enjoy the site.
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

Jr. Mechanic

how many miles do you have on your truck? And what year is it
    2008 Silverado, 5.3, G80, Extended Cab, California package, 20's, Direct trend motorsports 3" muffler dumped, Volant/CSI cold air intake, 2005 Preadtor Troy Lee Edition

Welcome to the site!
    I dont recall ever getting a Park Break check on my truck, Im in Tx too

Keep us posted!
    Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses:

My E brake is close to a no stop issue, I checked with the Chevy dealer after my inspection and estimate. The dealer quote was about $100 cheaper then the private shop, you may want to check your local dealer.
    Happy 2 Wheeler!