GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New Backup Lights

Hey all,
    I just installed 2 backup lights under my truck NBS 2007 Z71. I am going to attach them to come on when I am in reverse so I can see to backup my boat and other trailers. Has anyone done this, and also has anyone done it to come on with a switch as well. I am trying to have them come on with reverse, but if I needed to leave them on for a couple minutes while maybe hooking up my trailers. I know there might be some wiring guru on here.

Thanks, JB

being from the south where many ppl hunt/fish I have seen other trucks that have lights mounted near their trailer hitch, either below their bumber or some where in that proximity...it is possible i couldn't really tell you how tho as i am not eletrically inclined

Jmonte3
    07 Sierra NBS Black Crew Cab 5.3L Z71
    15% tint
    Gmc pin stripes
    Blacked out GMC Logos
    Dual Flowmaster exhaust
    Kicker Stereo System w/ Pioneer Avic-D3 Navi/Dvd
    Volant CIA
    Edge Evolution
    Poweraid TBS
    Leveling Kit
    Changed Door Handles to match shiney black paint

Quote Originally Posted by jmonte3 View Post
    being from the south where many ppl hunt/fish I have seen other trucks that have lights mounted near their trailer hitch, either below their bumber or some where in that proximity...it is possible i couldn't really tell you how tho as i am not eletrically inclined
    Yeah they fit perfect under the back bumper. There were two push tabs that hold the rubber step on. I was able to take them out and just directly bolt the lights to the bottom of the bumper.

Legend

I know there are prewired assemblies for this, I am sure if you google it there should be a write-up or two
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

My friend has that done on his Dogde Ram. The are mounted on the bottom of his bumper, they have a toggle switch. It works well when hookin up his trailer.
    Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses:

Can you send some pictures? The local auto shop tod me they will put in a 3 way switch - off, on while in reverse and full on modes. I think thats the way to go.
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

I have some I will be installing soon as well. My plan is to wire them to the reverse lights and the cargo light so they will selectable and automatic.

I was going to put in a new switch but using the cargo switch will keep it simpler

Quote Originally Posted by tlperry68 View Post
    Can you send some pictures? The local auto shop tod me they will put in a 3 way switch - off, on while in reverse and full on modes. I think thats the way to go.
    I wonder if you could get the diagram for the 3 way switch.
    I am afraid of back feed if I wire it to the reverse lights and also to the cargo light. I am no electrician, but you think that this would be a issue?

Legend

Blog Entries

I totally agree with Trevor. I would put a 3-way at the REAR of the truck. I'm not speaking out of personal experience with doing something like this, but rather out of past general electrical experience.

A 3-way should be easily installed at the back of the truck. For those that don't know what a 3-way switch does, let me try and demonstrate:

ON - OFF - ON

Most 3-way switches have an onoffon style. So if the switch is in the middle it's totally off, if it's slid or toggled to either side it's on. It's like two switches that can't be on at the same time.

In this case I would find the backup light wire, bring it to one side of the switch, and then out the other side of that switch, so that if you flick the toggle/switch on that one side it completes the circuit. From there I would go to a relay, and then the relay used to power the lights.

For the other side, I would grab a 12V power source (maybe your parking lights, seeing as they'll only be on at night - aka when you will need your lights on for the back) and wire it to the terminal, then the other side coming out to a relay, and then the relay powers the lights.

So you leave the switch on (let's say to the left) all the time so the lights come on when the backup lights come on, then when you need lighting at night, just go to the back, flick the switch from left to right, and you should have lighting to help you.

Hope that helps a little and is somewhat what you were looking for.
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

Quote Originally Posted by Springthing View Post
    I totally agree with Trevor. I would put a 3-way at the REAR of the truck. I'm not speaking out of personal experience with doing something like this, but rather out of past general electrical experience.

A 3-way should be easily installed at the back of the truck. For those that don't know what a 3-way switch does, let me try and demonstrate:

ON - OFF - ON

Most 3-way switches have an onoffon style. So if the switch is in the middle it's totally off, if it's slid or toggled to either side it's on. It's like two switches that can't be on at the same time.

In this case I would find the backup light wire, bring it to one side of the switch, and then out the other side of that switch, so that if you flick the toggle/switch on that one side it completes the circuit. From there I would go to a relay, and then the relay used to power the lights.

For the other side, I would grab a 12V power source (maybe your parking lights, seeing as they'll only be on at night - aka when you will need your lights on for the back) and wire it to the terminal, then the other side coming out to a relay, and then the relay powers the lights.

So you leave the switch on (let's say to the left) all the time so the lights come on when the backup lights come on, then when you need lighting at night, just go to the back, flick the switch from left to right, and you should have lighting to help you.

Hope that helps a little and is somewhat what you were looking for.
    Yep, I agree that is definitely the way to do it. I am going to go get the switch and some extra wire tonight. I will try to take some pics of it after its done. I hope I can do it tonight if not it will have to be this weekends project.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast