GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePBurdell View Post
    So... an Iraq War vet with an artificial leg that otherwise couldn't get into his truck has no right to support himself by returning to his remodeling business, simply because he needs a step to get into his truck?

I personally have no pony in this race, but honestly, outsiders see these Chevy ads as an admission by Chevy that they've missed the boat and fallen behind, and the only thing they can resort to is making fun of man-steps and heated steering wheels. They are kind of like the new Domino's ads where they admit that people hate their pizza but want you to buy it anyway.
    heated steering wheels and tailgate steps are a convinience. all chevys tryn to say is theyre makin there trucks for wat pick ups were made to do. WORK. covinience is for family cars. in my opinion if you need stuff like that, ur better of buying an suv. itd be more practical for ur needs.
    ____Zybe the Zebra
    '07 NBS Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LT1, 2wd, 4.8L
    :fighting0040:<--- (this is cool!!!)
    Custom 3in exhaust with Magnaflow muffler
    18in American Racing atx series thug's with 33 inch BFG A/T's
    N-Fab Nerf steps
    Blacked out rear wheel wells
    Rugged Liner bed liner <came with the truck>
    Pro Comp Leveling kit
    LED Glow 7 color underglow and interior glow kits

I agree 100% with you SoCal. I think that is what Chevy was saying.
    White
    2008 Silverado
    1500 Ext. Cab
    5.3 L Z71
    Flowmaster Super 44 Duals
    Window Tint, Window Visors

Other Toys:
    2008 KFX 450R
    2006 Kawasaki 650 4X4i
    2005 KFX 700 -SOLD-

But they are not mutually exclusive items. Just because Ford offers them does not make their pickup less of a truck. If anything, it is more of a truck.

To follow your line of reasoning, all pickups should not have comfort or convenience features. Perhaps you would prefer a truck with vinyl seats, rubber floor mats instead of carpeting, no sound system, etc., because after all, trucks are for tough guys who don't need any of that stuff. People who want carpeting and cloth or leather seats would be better off buying an SUV, eh?

Jr. Apprentice

Its not their making fun of the step and wheel, but if youve seen the more recent ford commercials (cant speak for dodge) one of the selling points they focused on was the introduction of the step thing. I think what chevy was shooting for was that they are comparing their selling points, their warranty and fuel eco, to fords, the step thing.

That being said, most of these chevy commercials are a joke. Theyre attacking small conveniences and concentrating on the "IM A MACHO GUY I DONT NEED THAT WUSSY ASS CRAP" mentality of most people. Anybody who has actually owned a truck for work knows that youre in and out of the bed constantly, and it does start to get to you after so long. Why not make something youre gonna do regardless that much easier?
    1999 Chevrolet Suburban 4x4 LT

Exactly. That's my point.

If one is already a Chevy fan, the joke is funny. If one is neutral/not already a Chevy fan, they just come across as dumb. Advertising has to be very careful when it makes a joke at the competition's expense that they don't across as spiteful to a neutral observer (i.e., the very people the advertising is trying to appeal to).

Wow! Someone needs to lighten up!

Bobby - North Carolina
    2008 4x4 5.3L V8
    6" Suspension Lift and 1.5" Body Lift
    20x9 Ballistic Jesters w/35" Toyo Open Country MT's & 1.5" rear wheel spacers
    4:56 Yukon Gears
    Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator
    Baja style bed mount spare tire carrier
    Flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust
    Recon Smoked LED tails/3rd brake lights/black projectors w/switchback LED's in the corners
    N-Fab Nerf Steps
    K&N CAI
    No Fear Pedals
    Tint, Line-X bedliner, Window visors, Rear wheel well liners
    Painted front grill, bow ties and door badges, de-"lettered" tailgate
    Powder coated front and rear bumpers

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePBurdell View Post
    But they are not mutually exclusive items. Just because Ford offers them does not make their pickup less of a truck. If anything, it is more of a truck.

To follow your line of reasoning, all pickups should not have comfort or convenience features. Perhaps you would prefer a truck with vinyl seats, rubber floor mats instead of carpeting, no sound system, etc., because after all, trucks are for tough guys who don't need any of that stuff. People who want carpeting and cloth or leather seats would be better off buying an SUV, eh?
    my tuck does have rubber floor mats and vinyl seats....
    ____Zybe the Zebra
    '07 NBS Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LT1, 2wd, 4.8L
    :fighting0040:<--- (this is cool!!!)
    Custom 3in exhaust with Magnaflow muffler
    18in American Racing atx series thug's with 33 inch BFG A/T's
    N-Fab Nerf steps
    Blacked out rear wheel wells
    Rugged Liner bed liner <came with the truck>
    Pro Comp Leveling kit
    LED Glow 7 color underglow and interior glow kits

where ever the pipeline takes me in canada
    Blog Entries

for the people like me how work in the oil filds of nothern canada the man step and the heated steering wheel sher sound good when its -50 and lower and its a pain in the back to be jumping in and out of the box of a 1 ton truck
    08 LTZ 5.3L
    ext cab reg box
    ranch hand bumper
    74 gal slip tank in box
    magnaflow off the side in front of pass tire
    green preformance cold air intake
    airrade spacer
    bully dog tuner
    alpine nav deck JL10inch stealth sub and 350watt amp

Funny commercial

Blog Entries

I agree with the guys over on the Ford forum, though. How can you compare the "man-step" to your warranty? Or the heated steering wheel to gas mileage? Both Ford and Dodge actually have an idea that I would LOVE to see implemented into a Chevy, and all they do is compare it to something not even remotely the same. Don't get me wrong, I really like the new Silverado, I just think the advertising is lame.

The other commercials for the Acadia are pretty good, though. And the commercial with the Silverado vs. the Tundra are also well played.
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast