GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Turbocharger

Default Turbocharger

A good friend of mine, who has a mustang cobra with over 600 HP (he did all the work himself), told me that i should get a turbo for my truck. I told him no way because i like the gas mileage i have right now. THEN he told me it wouldn't hurt my mileage, and could even help it a little. How the heck does that work? does he speaketh the truth?
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 97,000 - totaled, RIP
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 122,000 (K&N 77 Series CAI, PowerAid TBS, Magnaflow dual rear exit, 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Tuff Country Torsion Keys, Tuff Country Add-A-Leafs)
    1966 C10 swb stepside (Gen I 350, Turbo 400 trans, dual cyl power brakes, front discs)
    I'll keep my money, guns, and freedom. You keep the Change.

I've been looking at a supercharger for my truck. And I've done quite a bit of reaserch on it. I must say that your friend is correct. HOWEVER I believe that the equasion for supercharging of any kind is something like this.....(Stock HP + Supercharger) = lead foot (squared) ..... This usually translates to a decrease in fuel economy BUT a big increase in FUN..LOL!

Still if you can manage the urge to gun it all the time, you should get better economy. But I'm not sure if it would be worth the cost of the turbo system, to get it only for fuel economy. Here is a link that might be usefull

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/Feg/tech_engine_more.shtml

Cheers!
    Pete
    "ROCK YOUR RIDE"

i would love a turbo/supercharger. the only thing that's been holding me back was the gas milage. my truck's a daily driver so i dont want to do anything that will hurt fuel economy. i would love the extra power though. another thing holding me back from a turbo is the transmission. i know a stock tranny can only take so much gain in hp. I would probobly have to get a new tranny wouldn't I?

Blog Entries

I know this video has been posted on here before but awesome turbo video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmv0C2jwEtQ"]YouTube - Parish and his Turbo Truck Street Racing - 1320Video[/ame]
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

That is a bad ass video, I remember seeing that a while back and wanting it soooo bad.

The cool thing about forced induction is that you can control how much boost you're pushing into the motor. Different styles of super chargers, pulleys, etc. and different size turbos, waste gates, etc. If you stay fairly mild you can get a decent HP/TQ increase without putting unnecessary stress on the truck.
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

If you tow things you could help your mph Towing + More Horsepower + Less Motor Stress + Lower RPM = Better MPH

Quote Originally Posted by CarpenterGuy View Post
    i would love a turbo/supercharger. the only thing that's been holding me back was the gas milage. my truck's a daily driver so i dont want to do anything that will hurt fuel economy. i would love the extra power though. another thing holding me back from a turbo is the transmission. i know a stock tranny can only take so much gain in hp. I would probobly have to get a new tranny wouldn't I?
    I think it would all be realated to your driving habits. At 6-8 lbs of boost you should notice some very good HP and Torque. Just avoid the urge to spin the rubber all the time. Even a normally aspirated engine will decrease the life of your tranny if your heavy footed.....like me ..... As was mentioned in this thread by "bzboardco" Supercharging would significantly improve towing capabilities. I personally think its a great mod if your looking for more power, the fuel economy might be a small added bonus...or selling feature to convince your self that you reeaally need it. LOL!

Pete

Lol, the extra MPG is my selling point with my mom (i'm a month from 17) and i do alot of towing/hauling. I saw somewhere that a guy dropped a 2500HD tranny into a 1500. AND are you saying that if i just keep the boost down a little that i can keep my stock tranny?

How much would a setup like this cost?
    Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses:

Quote Originally Posted by 04sierracrewcab View Post
    How much would a setup like this cost?
    Uh, maybe about 4K for the turbo kit only. add another 3-6k for the tranny (i think).

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by