GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Need Rear Heater Hose O-Ring replacement...

I have a '95 Suburban with front & rear A/C and 230k miles. I have antifreeze leaking from the point where the heater hoses connect to the rear heater core. It appears that the o-rings in the ends of the hoses are worn out, but I can't find a replacement (GM only sells the entire hose, and one of the two is no longer available).

Has anyone replaced the o-rings inside the rear heater hose? If so, where did you buy the o-rings?

Some background - last summer I replaced the entire A/C system, as well as both front and rear heater cores (so long as I had the interior apart...). In other words, I'm certain I don't have a leaking core. I have also replaced the quick-disconnects for the heater hoses on the intake manifold and water pump. Is it possible to buy another one of those front disconnects and pick out the o-ring and nylon retainer to use inside the rear hose?

Any and all help greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by KirkW; 01-16-2009 at 09:31 AM.

Welcome to the site
    Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses:

Pull the "O" rings off and take them to an auto parts store and match them up.

Well, I was trying to avoid disabling the truck while I ran into town to match up o-rings. Alas, that was my only choice.

For future reference, the rear-heater hoses feature the same quick disconnect design as the front heater hoses that plug into the intake manifold. However, the hose is the female end (with the o-ring) and made of plastic, whereas up front the female end is on the manifold and made of metal. And a smaller diameter.

Dorman 800-401 is the infamous front disconnect that always corrodes and leaks. But this is not the same size as the rear heater-hose connectors.

Dorman 800-402 is the same size connector used for the rear heater-hose. In a pinch, one could buy one of these connectors, push out the plastic pieces to retrieve the O-ring, and install that O-ring into the rear heater-hose. But that would be expensive.

Instead, go to the auto-parts or hardware store and find O-rings that have a 15/16" outside-diameter, with a thickness of 3/32". Buy four so you can replace the O-rings at both ends of the rear heater-hoses.

Another leak on my truck was the metal crimp-collar that holds the rubber hose to the aforementioned quick-disconnect. Years of road-spray from the rear tire caused the collar to corrode and split open at the weld seam. Removing the collar and replacing it with a pair of 1" OD hose-clamps (four total) solved that leak.

Ah, the joys of maintaining a vehicle with 230,000 miles....
    Last edited by KirkW; 01-19-2009 at 03:21 PM.