GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Limited Slip?

Default Limited Slip?

Hello again. I have been trying to figure out in my Burb has limited slip rear or not. After yesterday's adventure trying to up straight up a driveway yesterday (no 4 wheel drive) and sliding back down the drive it made us wonder. I did a search on the forum and found one thread that stated if your glove box tag has G80 listed then the truck has limited slip. Is this correct? The only paperwork that came with it was the owner's manual so figuring out what it has and doesn't has takes awhile.

If I write those codes down and use the web page to decode them, will that answer all my questions?

Thanks!!! Michelle

Yes, G80 is the RPO code you would look for to confirm if it is a factory L/S.

Legend

That may be true for the code but i dont think G80 was somthing that was around when your burban was made, I have only heard of this recently, like in the last 5 years. I could be wrong though, i know my burban doesnt have one, i can do the one wheel burns in the snow all day long
    Last edited by vncj96; 01-20-2009 at 05:15 PM.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Factory limited slips have been around for a long time in one form or another. I was rather young, but they were putting clutch and/or cone type limited slips in in the '70's and '80's. The Eaton Gov-lock (often referred to as it's RPO code G80) was introduced in the late '80s (about the time they OBS trucks were introduced in '88, maybe??) and, as near as I can tell, was the only traction aid installed by the factory in OBS trucks. If the OP is referring to the '95 in her profile, it's very possible she has a G80 in there.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Thanks for the information guys. I went to the RPO site and looked at the codes for my year model and they do refer to the G80 as being limited slip based on the codes. I was curious because we were out on some nasty snow/ ice the other day and my husband asked me if both wheels were turning and I could only see the one but when I was in the truck it felt like both were.