GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cranking Torsion Bars vs. Leveling Kit

Is putting a leveling kit on or cranking the torsion bars on my truck the better option in order to raise the front end up in order to put bigger tires on. Im looking to put on 285/70/R17 tires and am planning to put helper springs in the rear so the truck sits 2" higher all the way around.
    Jake
    2006 Silverado 5.3L Flex Fuel
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Quadzilla Stealth 2 Race Tune

Blog Entries

Installing a leveling kit in the front will give you the extra clearence to fit at least 33's on your truck. Cranking your torsion bars will give you the clearence as well but will stiffen the ride. There are many companies that sell leveling kits out there and here is a LINK to one of the better ones so you can read about the leveling kits.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

I have 285 70 17 on my 05 silverado w/o any lift or adjustments. I just recently got a leveling kit that raised it around 2 1/4 inches. It rides a little bit rougher but should still be smoother than cranking the torsion bars. hoping to get 285/75/17 on there like my dads 2500hd

do the 285/70/R17's rub on your truck with nothing done to it?
    Jake
    2006 Silverado 5.3L Flex Fuel
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Quadzilla Stealth 2 Race Tune

put a leveling kit on your truck or it will ride like crap like my truck does

Mine is leveld and my truck ride has not changed
    Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses:

Jr. Engineer

What kind of an effect do leveling kits have on front end parts? Also, how exactly do they work? I thought they worked in the same way that cranking the torsion bars worked except that they allowed you to crank them up more. I used to have a 97 Suburban which I put an add-a-leaf in the rear leaf pack which raised the back up so I cranked the torsion bars up in the front to match (probably about 1.5 inches). I never had it aligned afterwards since as far as the toe goes it was fine. I put 35 inch mud tires on and replaced the pittman and idler arm at the same time. I proibably drove on it for about 20,000 miles and the pittmann and idler were total junk again. Since then I've been very iffy about cranking up torsion bars but with all the great things I've heard about the leveling kits I have been thinking about putting one on my 99 silverado.

I have an '03 with nothing done or adjusted and am running 285/75/16 on stock rims and nothing rubs on mine at all... just a thought

Installing a leveling kit is the same as cranking the t- bars. The only difference is you can get more lift out of a leveling kit because it replaces the t-bar keys. They are indexed differently than the stock keys. If you are only looking to go with the 285/70/17, you are better off only minimally cranking your stock keys.You can get up to two inches of lift this way. Just remember the more you crank, the more the ride and the suspension wear suffers. I f crank over two inches , take the time to look at your angles on your front cv joints and shafts. If you want more than about an inch and a half you should look into a full suspension lift. Just trying to save you some cash and trouble in the long run.
    06 Silverado RCSB 4x4 285/70/17 Cooper STT

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I have an '03 with nothing done or adjusted and am running 285/75/16 on stock rims and nothing rubs on mine at all... just a thought
    Tater, please post some pictures of your truck. (Out of the water so we can see the wheels and tires)

Jim
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro