GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Blog Entries

Here is a LINK to an article about torsion bars and keys, usually posted by Blackjack- a memeber here.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

I crank my bars up for the winter to plow. If you need it year round I would also recommend the leveling kit. I have to go turn mine back a few turns no that the snow is done here.
    2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Preferred Customers Save up to 30% Click here!!!
    Executive Direct Jobber ZO# 1695636
    Scott Douglass 248-721-1002
    Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

Hey bud I orginally told you I was running 285/75/16 on stock with not leveling kit which worked. Went and got the leveling kit for my truck, and with minor trimming I have 305/75/17 on 17x9 MT rims... they do rub in reverse and if i hit a bump at full lock.. so would recommend goin a size smaller than that. Just a little more help buddy

'03 Z71 Extended Cab
    2" Rough County Leveling Kit w/ Shocks
    305/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R
    17x9 Mickey Thompson Classic II

Default ride

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyFarmKid View Post
    put a leveling kit on your truck or it will ride like crap like my truck does
    ok so what does a leveling kit do different than different torsion keys, and blocks in the rear with new u bolts.
    05 Chevy Silverado

Led tail lights
    custom rims-285/70/17 cooper st
    Cold Air Intake
    5% Tint
    Billet Grill by Putco
    Big Rig Led Light Bars-Recon
    Lund Runnning Boards
    Custom mud flaps
    Leveling kit from JC Whitney

I was talking to some local guys here who have the same year truck as I do. 97 Sierra 4x4. They were saying that the kits was a waste of $$ for the OBS style trucks and just crank the tbars 2". I'm kinda confused about the whole cranking vs kit for my style of truck

1997 GMC Sierra SLT
    Debadged/demolded, Billet Grille, JBA s/s shorty headers, Magnaflow true duals, Magnaflow cats, K & N FIPK, Stainless nerf bars, Drop Center bumper, RCX 4" lift, XD Hoss Black, 33" DC Mud Country, Bushwacker flares, Black Bear tuned

I cranked my bars for awhile but lowered them back down once I bought this new camper(wanted everything to sit level). Basically what your doing by just cranking you bars is extending your shocks all the way out,not good. You can by longer shocks though. Also your tires wear out faster because they're angled now. Do it right and go w/ the full leveling kit,little more money but cheaper than ruining your vehicle.
    Tom

06 Silverado 4x4
    Westin bars
    GM hood guard
    Extang tonneau cover
    Catback exhaust
    3.5in SS tips
    K&N Cold air intake

previous:
    05 Colorado Z71

Just to clear this up. Torsion key leveling kits work the same way as "cranking" your bars. The difference is that the indexing or "clocking" of the new key allows the torsion bar to be adjusted more than the stock key allows. Typically on 1/2 ton trucks you can only get 1 inch of lift from the stock key whereas some aftermarket keys give 3 inches. This does increase shaft angles which obviously generates more wear. This is just my opinion but I think 3 inches is the limit before the wear becomes adverse, and I also wouldn't recommend any serious off-roading with a torsion key lift, that really requires a full suspension lift.
    Last edited by adampaul1964; 02-17-2010 at 06:44 AM.
    Adam

i put a leveling kit and cranked the bars up to fit my 325/60

Ok then. So according to all you guys with way more knowledge than on this, the new torsion keys in my 97 will be better for my front end components and ride quality than just cranking the bars and is worth the money. Thats the route I will go.

Quote Originally Posted by Okimaw View Post
    Ok then. So according to all you guys with way more knowledge than on this, the new torsion keys in my 97 will be better for my front end components and ride quality than just cranking the bars and is worth the money. Thats the route I will go.

New keys won't be "better" for your front end components, but you will get more lift than adjusting the stock keys. I adjusted my stock keys before I put on the Pro- Comp keys and I found the ride to be kind of soft and spongy, after the new keys the ride was much firmer and more "truck like", and I gained 3" of lift. The manufacturers make claims that "ride quality will not be affected" and " no wear on front end parts" but that is just impossible, new keys are not "magic" keys. The ONLY thing they do is allow you to adjust the ride height more than the stock keys allow, period!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12