GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default yet another transmission question

2003 Suburban 1500....4L60 transmission (I think)

I get an audible noise from the transmission when it drops down into 3rd (I think) when climbing a hill, usually in cruise. Once the vehicle drops down, usually an 8 count goes by and a guttural "NNNNNNN" sounds, and repeats (every 8 seconds). I think its 3rd gear, 'cause when testing out all alternatives, I could get the "NNNNNNN" to occur without cruise on while going up a hill....

Does anyone know what this sound is? I'm going to get it looked at, just want to know to so I know how far to bend over.

Thanks,
    Chris

Does it almost sound like a grinding/jake brake noise? My 02 express cutaway started to make a messed up noise last night. Anytime i let off the gas it would make a glunk like it was down shifting then it would make that noise. once i got back on it for a second or 2 it would go away. Its probably about 5 seconds after i let off the throttle the noise started. Highway, backroads, anywhere.

Hey! Thanks for replying.... not it's not a grinding noise at all, more of a loud vibration. I have it into the stealership right now and they said the noise might've been coming from a broken yoke housing on the TC. At the right frequency 9particularly around 3rd gear) that's when it would make the noise.

We'll see...they haven't called me back yet.

Default grinding/jake brake noise?

Quote Originally Posted by mxr576 View Post
    Does it almost sound like a grinding/jake brake noise? My 02 express cutaway started to make a messed up noise last night. Anytime i let off the gas it would make a glunk like it was down shifting then it would make that noise. once i got back on it for a second or 2 it would go away. Its probably about 5 seconds after i let off the throttle the noise started. Highway, backroads, anywhere.
    MXR576 - Have you been able to find out what your problem is? I am having the exact same problem. If you hit the gas then it goes away until you let go, then it makes a glunk followed by a jake brake noise about 3 seconds later. When you hit the gas again the noise stops. Happens everywhere.

I took it into a shop on Saturday and they think it might be the chain which powers the transmission. However he had never heard of a car doing that and wasn't that sure.