GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Smile Amp Power Wire Routing

Hey everyone out there, i have a 2000 Silverado and i was just wondering if anyone else has found a good place to route the power wire for an amp. Its 8 AWG wire, i have the remote and AUX cables routed, and all i have left is the power cable. I think i can get it through with the fuse box wires, but in the engine bay its protected by a big rubber, obviously to protect it from water and everything, but its really thick and im a little nervous about cutting it. Is there any other way besides this or drilling a hole?
    2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L Z71 - 4x4

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

You can find a suitable spot and drill your own hole and purchase another gromment for your wire only. That way its the only wire through that hole and gromment. This way you can also shorten it if need be or visa versa.

Jeff
    JMoney02

Quote Originally Posted by JMoney02 View Post
    You can find a suitable spot and drill your own hole and purchase another gromment for your wire only. That way its the only wire through that hole and gromment. This way you can also shorten it if need be or visa versa.

Jeff
    I agree with Jeff. That is the most practical way to proced.
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by JMoney02 View Post

Jeff
    My amp is wired like that. Drill a hole in the firewall and ran alarm and amp wire through it. Ran the amp wire to the battery since it's only 1,000 watts. Anything higher and you'll need a cap ran.
    1997 GMC Suburban
    22 inch Ice Metal Rims
    170k and still truckin'

Ran mine down the fender well and drilled a hole in the floor board on the passenger side. Turned out awesome. I can post a picture tomorrow if you'd like!
    Greystone Matalic, LS

Audio Mods: Kicker S8L7, Kenwood Amp, Pionner rear speakers

Electronics: Viper 5701 Security/Remote Start

Interior: 10% tent,

Exterior: Bug Shield, OEM bed rails protectors, toolbox, tonneau cover, debadged.

Engine Mods: Airaid Intake

Suspension Mods: Superlift 2.5 in. lift struts, Procomp 2" add-a-leaf in the rear.

Mine came out pretty clean.. (2000 silverado 1500) if you get down by the pedals and look by the steering column, it has a rubbery seal where the the steering column goes through.. what I did was take a knife and make a " + " cut into the rubber seal where I ran 4 gauge wire through.. its best if you get a friend to be waiting with needle nose plyers to pull the cable through the other side while you push it through.. and as long as you run the cable neatly like I did, it will not rub or even touch the steering column. also, as long as you don't make too big of an incision through the seal, you'll get an air tight/water-proof path as seen in my pic. way better than drilling wholes through your fire wall and searching for gromment fittings or w/e. I AM 110% SATISFIED and you will be too!!

PS: make sure your RCA cables are NOT running along side your amp power cable.. that causes engine noise to come from your subs. I ran power and remote cables along to driver side trim (so it could go through the steering column's rubber seal) and RCAs along the passenger side trim.

Hears a pic of how I did it:

Last edited by oOcornflakeOo; 01-03-2009 at 08:18 PM.
    IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT

2000 CHEVY SILVERADO 1500
    - BLACKED OUT BOW TIE
    - RHINO LINER
    - BLUE LED CLUSTER
    - SOUND SYSTEM
    - SOFT WHITE LED DOME LIGHT :smile:

- SOON -
    - SOFT WHITE LEDs THROUGH OUT INTERIOR

Talking from experience as a previous installer for 10 years. I would definetly say to stay away from the steering column!!! The best way to run it is either through an existing grommet like the one for the fuse box. Or to drill your own hole in the firewall and use a grommet in the hole you drilled. You can use the grommet for the fuse box without any problems. Just don't use anything sharp when you run the power wire for the amp through it and you should be fine. If you use a sharp object, you have a chance of nicking one of the wires from the fuse box.

Hope this helps!!
    Troy - Ohio
    2008 Black Silverado LS 4x4 CC with the 4.8
    2009 Pontiac Vibe (Company Car)

well, you can do it how ever you'd like, I know for a fact that on both sides of the seal, its not touching a single component of the steering column [nor will it ever]. I guess it comes down to how neat of an install you do. the way I ran my cable is guaranteed not to come into contact with anything I didn't want it to touch.. Hense why it was placed through the seal towards the upper end. I'm very meticulous with my work.. a bit OCD more than anything else. I thought about drilling at first as well but realized that this was a safer and more efficient way to run my wire. Just remember whatever you put into your work is what you get. Like i said I am 110% satisfied with the work I did. my under dash area is wire free from sight. you wouldn't know I had a system until you heard it. Its at least worth considering if you know you're the type like me who doesn't cut corners. Either way will work for running a cable and so are your options.

I would say run it just under the antenna wire in the flat spot and make sure you run the rca wire down the drivers side or you will get the ever annoying backfeed in the subs you can run the remote wire with the rca wire just don't twist then together.
    Corey M (CoDaChrome™)
    the vehicles I have/had
    1989 GMC 2500 4wd (Sold)
    1989 Palomino hard-side popup
    1990 GMC 2500 pickup 2wd
    1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (Beater) (sold)
    1997 GMC jimmy sle 4wd (Sold)
    1999 Silverado Z71 offroad
    2000 Sunline 30' travel trailer
    2003 Silverado Z71 offroad
    2006 Yamaha wolverine 450 4wd

just remember to run your power wire on the opposite side from your aux and rca cables. you dont want unwanted noise interference from running them together
    Kevin
    Texas/Hawaii

2005 Isuzu Ascender
    2004 Tahoe LT

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by