GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Truck amplifier help

I'm looking for a good amp for my truck, I want it to power my speakers, and two 10-12' subs. I was told by a friend of mine, not to get something over 1000 amps because it will drastically drain my trucks batterie and I will have to replace it once every year

Everything is stock, but I did buy a new Sony Deck. My budget is about $150 dollars on one amplifier. I don't know anything about car audio systems, but have heard that brands like JL Audio, Alpine, Rockford Fosgate, and Kenwood are good amps.

2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 2WD EXT Cab
    4.3L V6 Vortec, K&N Drop-In, Flowmaster Super 44,
    3" Exhaust tip, 22" Boss #331 Rims, Clifford 50.5x Alarm,
    Escalade Gauges, DJM Leveling Kit, Billet grill, All JL Audio Speakers,
    300XD MTX amp, Two 10" Alpine SWE-1042 subs

-Check out my photo album!

Holy ****! 10-12 foot woofers!

*That would be 10-12" woofers.

i was thinking the same thing
    04 Tahoe LT 5.3L stock MSD 8.5mm Wires
    Gigbson Duels Straight Exhaust, Parrot 3100 Bluetooth
    K&N 77 Series CAI, Sirius Radio
    De-badged, Valet Dei remote start
    5000k HID -Higherlevelauto.com
    Federal 100watt air horn

Legend

I had one of these powering 4 boston acoustic 6.5" and 2 rockford fostgate P2 12's and it performed awesome. never a problem. And its $153.50 Pretty close I think.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/AUDIOBAHN-A6004V...QQcmdZViewItem

KRIS
    2007 GMC Sierra CrewCab 4.8L
    Tinted Windows, 20" Chrome MB Predators on 275/55/20 Copper AT's, GM Bed Rug, Speed Scene Chrome Grille, Putco Chrome Handles, Hypertech Max Energy Programmer, Magnaflow Muffler and many more mods to come.
    Former GM Vehicles:
    96 Chevy Camaro. My first car modded for a High School kid.

Im sorry, I meant inches. And I have decided to power four aftermarket speakers (two front, two rear) and two 10 inch. subs in the back. I was looking at this amp here too, would it power all four speakers and two 10" subs?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/KENWOOD-KAC-7203...ayphotohosting

Legend

Yes you technically could, but I'd watch out for overheating and other issues. If you only wanna buy one amp I'd make it a 4 channel.

They do make 5 channel amps, for specifically what you want to do. Crutchfield (http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...FF5%40Channel#) has a pretty decent listing of 5 channel amps that should meet what you want to do. However, to power 2 10s, you'd really need 2 amps, one for the 4 door speakers, and one for the 2 subs. Subs want lots more power than a 5 channel can provide for hte most part.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

And all this can fit in an Extended cab 1/2 pickup? If I were to get two amps in there, then what kind should I get for just the four speakers? I dont want my truck batterie to drain from all this power. Perhaps a 500 watt amp for the speakers and 1000 for the two subs?

@finalday7:
    You powered 4 speakers AND two subs with one amp? Thats what I would prefer to do, but you have a 4channel amp. Are you recommending I get two separate amps, or one 4ch like yours?

Im thinking a 500w amp for the speakers, and a 1000w amp for the two subs. I really would prefer to get just one amp

I'm really looking to power up my speakers for rock music, I don't need something that will set off car alarms. So perhaps something nice, but not overkill.
    Last edited by no0b123; 11-18-2007 at 11:37 PM.

Legend

@finalday7:
    You powered 4 speakers AND two subs with one amp? Thats what I would prefer to do, but you have a 4channel amp. Are you recommending I get two separate amps, or one 4ch like yours?

Im thinking a 500w amp for the speakers, and a 1000w amp for the two subs. I really would prefer to get just one amp

I'm really looking to power up my speakers for rock music, I don't need something that will set off car alarms. So perhaps something nice, but not overkill.
    Yes I did power all 4 speakers and both subs off one amp. I even had another pair of 6x9's on there for awhile.
    You will save a ton of money just sticking with one amp. I don't know if you plan on installing all this yourself but you'll save a ton of money eaither way.
    I bought my custom box from subthump.com. I'm pretty sure they have one for your vehicle. Their inexpensive but built really well. Great customer service so check them out. If you do decide to get 2 amps, make sure you invest in a good 1 or 1.5 farad cap. That will save your battery and stop your lights from dimming. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks guys. I went to the audio store today, and bought JL Audio TR650-CXI speakers for the front and JL in the rear. The guy sold me them plus a 2yr. warranty and free installation for $265. He said it was one of the best products he sells, and said the 2 way speakers will sound real nice. Did I get a good deal?

I want to later buy a 600watt 4ch. Amp to power these speakers and get the sub woofers in a much later time (with separate amp). Currently, the speakers will be hooked up to my Sony radio/deck. Did I do well?

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by