GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default amps and head units

ok so I read on another post that by removing the stock radio unit, you no longer get the beeping to notify you of headlights remaining on, door ajar, key in the ignition, etc... also, you'd need a 200.00 module to still use your steering wheel radio controller. well i say to hell with that. I've yet to disassemble the dash of a 2003 silverado because i'd like to keep those accessaries in tact if at all possible. does the factory head unit have RCA plugins for an amp? anyone out there with suggestions?

The factory stereo in my 2007 classic has no extra connections whatsoever.

I too would consider getting a new head unit, however I would lose the use of the stereo module in the back seat, and not to mention the steering controls.

woops, turns out the truck I was getting was a 2000 1500 silverado and the chimes still work when I took out the radio but unfortunately, i accidentally grounded a hot wire and now i have no instrument panel backlights and no break lights... sigh.. this was suppose to be an easy swap and pop i've done a 100x. I doubt I'll get any help about the situation but who knows.. in the process of checking fuses

you dont need rca's to hook up a amp i still have the stock head unit and have an amp and couple subs hooked up..... i can't remember what its called that they used to hook up my amp but i'm sure someone can help
    2004 chevy silverado "northwest edition" lifted on 35's

1990 cherokee lifted on 32's

... I'll be waiting

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by mehoff400 View Post
    you dont need rca's to hook up a amp i still have the stock head unit and have an amp and couple subs hooked up..... i can't remember what its called that they used to hook up my amp but i'm sure someone can help
    Its called a hi-low adapter. It hooks up to factory radios and provides a pre-amp output to hook an amp up.
    After my DVD flip out was stolen outta my 1997 Suburban, I put the factory back in and hooked a Hi-low adaptor up just to show that I'm still dumpin and they didn't get everything.

I would say to google it, but i got mine from a local stereo shop and had it as a back up.

never mind, heres the link
    Click Here
    Last edited by StillMatic; 12-27-2008 at 01:45 PM.
    1997 GMC Suburban
    22 inch Ice Metal Rims
    170k and still truckin'

sweet, a response in less than 10 mins!! awesome, a high-low adaptor, i'll check it out. thanx a million

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by oOcornflakeOo View Post
    sweet, a response in less than 10 mins!! awesome, a high-low adaptor, i'll check it out. thanx a million
    No problem man, everyone is here to help. But I am sure that this adaptor will help you.
    1997 GMC Suburban
    22 inch Ice Metal Rims
    170k and still truckin'

Quote Originally Posted by StillMatic View Post
    Its called a hi-low adapter. It hooks up to factory radios and provides a pre-amp output to hook an amp up.
    After my DVD flip out was stolen outta my 1997 Suburban, I put the factory back in and hooked a Hi-low adaptor up just to show that I'm still dumpin and they didn't get everything.

I would say to google it, but i got mine from a local stereo shop and had it as a back up.

never mind, heres the link
    Click Here
    """"Please"""''
    Stillmatic, can you tell me how you hooked that adapter up? Did you install it in the back of the radio or tap in the rear speaker wires? Thanks in Advance
    South Texas, That's where I from.

Legend

If you get a single RCA out it goes to whatever speakers you want its your choice either the rear or fronts, some have multiple RCA outs I used one from Monster and I just tapped into my rear wires
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast