GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Thank You!

Sr. Apprentice

I replaced my steering shaft today. Ordered the part fom gm part irect, it was realatively an easy fix. It requires removing (1)11mm lower shaft bolt, (1)15mm middle shaft bolt, (1) 15mm top shaft bolt, (2)8mm gas pedal bracket nuts. The pedal has to be out of the way to get the shaft out. I used a piece of duck tape around the wheel to the dash, so it did not spin while being disconnected. Good ol duck tape lol! Install the new shaft, follow thie pics from the first post, takes about an hour at most.
    2003 Silverado LS 1500 Xcab 5.3 vortec 3.73 rear.
    2000 Artic White Buick Regal GS, 3.4 pulley, 3"dp, 13.81 @ 101 (sold)
    2002 Z28 Camaro, 1sc, a4, slp lid, headers, cb exhaust, 3.73

so is the new shaft from gmpartsclub.com an improved version or just the same piece of crap that came on the truck???
    2001 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Blakjax98 View Post
    so is the new shaft from gmpartsclub.com an improved version or just the same piece of crap that came on the truck???
    It's an updated design from the original.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglt1 View Post
    It's an updated design from the original.

And the updated design is a piece of s**t as well, a few of our members have found out very quickly.
    There is no known replacement component to repair this issue to the best of anyones knowledge as far as i can tell.
    Try the mod that i posted earlier in this thread, everyone who tried it so far is happy, and thats almost everyone here i think.

There are 2 repair options in this thread, post# 1 shows disassembly and regrease, and my post shows a mod to grease it externally, use which ever one yoou wish, both will work, it seems mne works more permanently.
    2004 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L auto
    Beginning work in progress

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by skinner View Post
    And the updated design is a piece of s**t as well, a few of our members have found out very quickly.
    There is no known replacement component to repair this issue to the best of anyones knowledge as far as i can tell.
    Try the mod that i posted earlier in this thread, everyone who tried it so far is happy, and thats almost everyone here i think.

There are 2 repair options in this thread, post# 1 shows disassembly and regrease, and my post shows a mod to grease it externally, use which ever one yoou wish, both will work, it seems mne works more permanently.
    Do you have any experience using the updated part? What makes it a piece of ****? Mine has worked flawlessly... You need to explain your claims because just calling something a piece of **** seems to be more of a opinion, rather than a factual claim.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglt1 View Post
    Do you have any experience using the updated part? What makes it a piece of ****? Mine has worked flawlessly... You need to explain your claims because just calling something a piece of **** seems to be more of a opinion, rather than a factual claim.
    I have 2 people i know in my area who have installed aftermarket units, and yes both were considerably better than the stock one but over what we agree is a short term (less than 1 1/2 years) both have failed just like stock units. Also there are posts on the site from members who have A/M units that have failed.
    In conclusion, yes it would be my opinion that these are s*** just like stock ones but my opinion i believe is supported well enough.
    Also both of the guys i know personally with the issue have gone to the grease fitting which i posted the mod in 2 different threads.
    Sorry if i offended anyone but i thought most of you knew, lol.

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by skinner View Post
    I have 2 people i know in my area who have installed aftermarket units, and yes both were considerably better than the stock one but over what we agree is a short term (less than 1 1/2 years) both have failed just like stock units. Also there are posts on the site from members who have A/M units that have failed.
    In conclusion, yes it would be my opinion that these are s*** just like stock ones but my opinion i believe is supported well enough.
    Also both of the guys i know personally with the issue have gone to the grease fitting which i posted the mod in 2 different threads.
    Sorry if i offended anyone but i thought most of you knew, lol.
    No need to apologize, thats what this site is for! I never herd of the updated part having the same issues until now... I guess that I can just hope for the new part lasts awhile, it's been good so far, but it's only a few month'd old.

My truck makes a rubbing noise in the steering column. Will the grease fix my problem?

When my truck was under warranty it had the same rubbing noise problem, the dealership said they lubed the intermediate shaft. The noise went away for a couple of years and now its back. This must be how they fix it... temporarily.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_kool-aid View Post
    My truck makes a rubbing noise in the steering column. Will the grease fix my problem?

When my truck was under warranty it had the same rubbing noise problem, the dealership said they lubed the intermediate shaft. The noise went away for a couple of years and now its back. This must be how they fix it... temporarily.
    If the sound is the same and the repack/ regreasing proceedure cured it before, then i would have to say that the grease fitting would cure it. Then if it ever comes back, u just add a bit more.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... Last Post byLast Post by