GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grill swap?

Default Grill swap?

Hey guys,

I have a 1990 suburban that I was looking to do a grill swap on. It's got the original horizontal headlight-type grill on it right now:

My question is, would it be possible/not too difficult to do something such as this? It's the stacked headlight version from the mid 80's Chevy's with a custom grill. I was looking at basically doing exactaly this:

Would it be possible to do this without much difficulty and/or money?
    Current truck: 1996 Ford 250, 7.3 Powerstroke diesel. Dana 60 SAS, stage 1 160cc injectors, T500 High Pressure Oil Pump, TS 6-position chip, full 4" exhaust, intake, 285 Falken Rocky Mountain AT's, boost/EGT/trans temp pillar gauges, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by bigburb View Post
    Hey guys,

I have a 1990 suburban that I was looking to do a grill swap on. It's got the original horizontal headlight-type grill on it right now:

My question is, would it be possible/not too difficult to do something such as this? It's the stacked headlight version from the mid 80's Chevy's with a custom grill. I was looking at basically doing exactaly this:

Would it be possible to do this without much difficulty and/or money?

I don't think it would be that hard to do because the 80''s pickups(Up to 87) and Suburbans up to 91 pretty well share the same mounting points for the front end components. You'd kind of have to do a mix and match thing although I feel it is doable, but it might get expensive for all 80's change over parts behind the grill. You could try a wrecker but the problem with that is most vehicles there have front end damage. When I had my 75 P/UP I easily changed the front grill area to look like a 1980 Pickup. IMHO, it's not as hard as it looks to accomplish what you want.

Legend

Blog Entries

Have you looked around at all the resources to see if there is an aftermarket you can purchase that for sure will fit your application? Might even find something you like better?

Just a thought.. good luck, and let us know what happens.
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

i dont have a truck like yours, but i did get my grill from the same people, and the instructions were very good, and it was quite easy to do by myself
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cascott325 View Post
    i dont have a truck like yours, but i did get my grill from the same people, and the instructions were very good, and it was quite easy to do by myself
    I don't think getting the grille is the problem. He wants the 80's stacked headlight look behind it. I'm pretty sure since these trucks are the same platform as the old 80-87 C/K pickups it's just a matter of getting all the lights and mounts from one of them trucks and putting the stuff on his, and then putting the grille over top. I know it sounds simple but Chevy trucks are the best at interchanging parts because even though the trucks are changed cosmeticallythrough the years the internals like light and grille mounts essentially stay the same for that platform.

This swap might not be hard to pull off at all.
    Your truck has the grill that most square body GM truck owners want. As far as physically bolting on, yes it fits, the swap from stacked headlights to horizontal like yours has been has been done many times. But if I remember correctly on certain years you need the fenders, hood, grill, and radiator support.
    The grill your looking at is called "the phantom".
    I'd start my swap by finding someone with the front end (stacked headlights 82 to 87?) you want and swap with them, then look at aftermarket manufacturers to find the grill your looking for. Godfathers truck parts in Atlanta, Ga. used to sell that model grill, theres also a couple advertisers in "Truckin" magazine that sell that model grill also.
    Last edited by tbplus10; 02-01-2009 at 07:07 PM.

Well I like either that or the stock stacked headlight style, like this:

Would a regular stock stacked headlight style be any easier than the phantom setup?
    Current truck: 1996 Ford 250, 7.3 Powerstroke diesel. Dana 60 SAS, stage 1 160cc injectors, T500 High Pressure Oil Pump, TS 6-position chip, full 4" exhaust, intake, 285 Falken Rocky Mountain AT's, boost/EGT/trans temp pillar gauges, etc...

Well I like either that or the stock stacked headlight style, like this:

Would a regular stock stacked headlight style be any easier than the phantom setup?

I think the stacked headlight style like the pic looks great. My only question about the phantom setup is you have to recess the headlamp and park lights so your grille would be flush. The setup in the pic would be almost a drop in.

Yeah I didn't really think about the work I would have to put in to get the phantom grill to work until yesterday. That's why I kinda just decided to get a regular stacked headlight style grill set-up like in the picture. Doing that wouldn't be too hard, right?

Yeah I didn't really think about the work I would have to put in to get the phantom grill to work until yesterday. That's why I kinda just decided to get a regular stacked headlight style grill set-up like in the picture. Doing that wouldn't be too hard, right?
    The install should be simple, finding all the parts might be a bit of a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast