GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default looking for 87 suburban brake suggestions

I bought a 87 burb a year or so ago. I'm not mechanical inclined, but because these trucks are older and no frills I thought it easier to maintain than something with tons of electronics and computers in it. My main concern at the moment is the brakes. They have been "upgraded" to disc at all wheels. The braking is soft and the pedal is spongie. A mechanic friend of mine said the stock brake booster is not sending enough pressure to the rear discs and most of the stopping comes from the front brakes. I've been searching the net for the proper parts, but I'm not certain what actually fits or if any modification needs to be done to make something work properly. Somebody on a different forum i read said a vacuum pump corrected an issue with a 69 cougar he had. Do I need to go that route to solve my problem? Does anyone here have any experience and done this project themselves?

Google a search on brake conversions, you should come upwith a few companies like SSBC, Brembo, etc. These companies should be able to supply the parts you need.
    If the mechanic that did the conversion didnt change out the master cylinder and BPV (Brake porportioning valve, also called a Load Porportioning valve (LVP), or Brake bias valve) this could be the root cause of your braking woes.
    Disc brakes take more fluid to fully extend the pucks than shoes take. This is why you should always upgrade the mastercylinder and rear brake control valve when converting to disc's.

I had been looking at a couple of sites, just not exactly sure what I should be searching for. Thanks for the info Tim. Anybody have suggestions for best websites for price/shipping/customer service?

Any suggestions about the electric vacuum pump?
    Last edited by akagun; 01-26-2009 at 06:20 AM.

I think TBPlus is right. Sounds like the proportion valve.

http://www.ssbrakes.com/commerce/bra...oportioning%20

I have a SSBC front brake kit and looking to eventually get the rear kit for my '98 Burb.

I have done this on over 6 Subs from 89 to 91 all with 14 bolt 10.5" with no issues. I would power bleed the system first!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails l_2e5351d7e7270283a3320f7dc528446a.jpg  
    Never has so few. Done so much, With so little, That now we can do anything, With absolutly NOTHING!!!!