GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1995 Chev 4X4 z71 6.5L Diesel

Hello i'm hoping to become a chev owner sometime this week, and I needed some advice. I'm going to see a 1995 Chev 4X4 z71 6.5L Turbo Diesel with 345,000km with the electronic fuel system driver problem. I'm assuming that all I would need to would be to replace the driver and remount it with a heat sink. However, the previous owner (not the one who has it now) was in the middle of a conversion to a 94 mechanical pump. Long story short the truck will idle with the gas peddle pressed slightly, but will not drive as it will stall. Its a very good price considering its a step side and in fantastic body condition and the interior is well kept. It also comes with another electronic injection pump complete with a working fuel system driver that works. Should I buy it? I don't mind paying to have a mechanic fix the problem, if it won't be too expensive. The truck ts probably going to sell for around 2400 dollars. Keep in mind I'm canadian and i'm using CAD and KM's. Thanks for your advice.

I would say go for it. If it has the parts to do the repair, but they just haven't been put up, buy it and put the labour in yourself.

Im sure one of the diesel boys will chime in here for specific things to look at, but even if the truck itself is mint, 2400 isnt bad for a good frame and body..
    -=Howie=-:sarcastic:

Its not the professional drivers I worry about. Its the Amateurs.
    1999 Chevy C3500 Crew Cab W/T 8'Bed, 350 Vortec 2wd "Ghost"

does anyone think that the mileage is too high on this truck? I know next to nothing about how long these engines will last, and I do want this truck for a while

Ive heard mixed reviews on that motor. It's not known to be the most reliable engine, but for $2400 and its 4x4 in good shape it might be worth it.
    Dan
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 350 vortec
    1967 Jeep M725 ambulance 230 tornado
    1990 Cherokee Limited- 3 inch lift on 33's
    ...and every one of em has issues

If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to send me or any other GMTC moderators a PM

Legend

Those old diesels are not that great of motor, and they are not cheap to replace. For the cost of diesel fuel and the mileage return on those I wouldnt do it. It may get 18-20 at the most. Personally I couldnt do it considereing the costs that could be lurking.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

I really appreciate the input from everyone! Thanks so much to everyone who replied. I'm going to see it tomorrow and I'll decide when I see it if its worth it.

I had a friend with a truck similar to the one you are looking at. He pulled a 5th wheel all over the U.S. and parts of Canada with it. I believe it was a '95. He was meticulous about maint. and service, so it was always in great shape. The "mechanical" pumps were supposedly more reliable than the later electrical, but I don't remember him ever having problems with his! Go for it & good luck!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas