GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Engineer

Default Anybody with a Volant Cold Air Intake

So I got a Volant CAI for my 99 Silverado 1500 4.8 and everything went well except for where the intake tube connects to the throttle body. The kit uses the stock hose clamp and it will not tighten down far enough to create a tight seal since it has to actually compress the plastic of the intake tube. Once I get to a certain point, the screw just goes "click" and skips back a notch. I tried everything I could to try to get it tighter but I can still simply pull the intake tube off of the Throttle body without trying too hard. Has anybody else had this problem or found a good solution to it?

Sr. Apprentice

Just installed a Volant CAI on my truck 2 weeks ago. I had no problems with the factory clamp onto the T.B. What I did was position the clamp and rubber piece onto the tube 1st then onto the T.B. I remember trying to leave the clamp on the T.B. then try to get the tube inserted onto the T.B. and it wasn't happening. You might try this.
    2005 Silverado 1500 LS Z71. Extended Cab Shortbed. L33 5.3, 4.10.

Coming Upgrades:
    Volant CAI
    Magnaflow 3" Single Cat-Back
    Superchips Cortex

Jr. Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by gocubs68 View Post
    Just installed a Volant CAI on my truck 2 weeks ago. I had no problems with the factory clamp onto the T.B. What I did was position the clamp and rubber piece onto the tube 1st then onto the T.B. I remember trying to leave the clamp on the T.B. then try to get the tube inserted onto the T.B. and it wasn't happening. You might try this.
    I did that. The intake tube is on the throttle body just fine. The problem is that the clamp isn't clamping down tight enough. I shouldn't be able to wiggle the tube around on the throttle body, it should be an air tight fit.

you should have a short piece of rubber (rubber coupling) that goes over the intake tube and the end of the TB. with that piece,you should have 2 clamps, one for the TB and one for the intake tube. you may be missing a part to the assembly.
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris

Legend

go to a hardware store in the plumbing section and get a bigger and wider clamp for a little better footprint and more area to clamp on, you may even find a better coupler that is a little more plyable
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16