GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Transmission Oil-FilterChange-1990 Cheyenne-1500

{1990 Cheyenne-1500/305 V-8/Four Speed Auto with Over Drive} > When I drop the Transmission pan its covered by a crossbeam member (Four bolts), and in the middle there is another bolt that holds up the end of the transmission with a rubber vibration pad in between the crossbeam member. To get to the bolts on the end of Transmission pan I have to remove these five bolts. QUESTION: do I need to be aware of anything prior to doing this as its all new to me? Thanks in advance...AF1

Well, for starters, you need a jackstand to hold the tailshaft of the transmission up when you drop the crossmember, because that's the only thing holding the back of the transmission up. Take a block of wood and put it between the jack and the pan and pick it up a hair. Then you can loosen and remove the crossmember. Then lower the tailshaft onto a jackstand and you should be able to remove the jack if you did it right. Then you have half a billion bolts to pull on the pan and you're home free. Make sure you have all the parts.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Default 1990 Transmission Oil Change-Question #2

Thanks Chris~ After looking at the Cross Beam Member it only goes under the Pan, not holding it up. Looks like I can take this off without any support, then put a jack under tail shaft section to hold it up. Am I looking at something wrong here? Thanks again

You are correct, the crossmember is not holding the pan up, but like I'm sure you saw, it's blocking access to bolts for the pan. However, that crossmember is holding up the entire transmission, so you have to support the trasmission while you pull the crossmember and the pan just happens to be a good spot to do so until you can support the tailshaft. I know it sounds stupid, but don't try to support from the tailshaft straight out...
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Appreciate it Chris..I was just concerned about putting a jack under the pan, and possibly denting etc it up. I follow what you say! Its a next job Sat for sure. AF1

is that thing still shifting funny???

Yep! Still shifting hard going from 1st to 2nd and 3rd. When it warms up it runs smooth.

Just remember what I said and use a board between your floor jack an the pan, like a 2X4 2 foot long or so. 2x6s or 2x8 would be even better if you have them floating around. Just whatever you do DO NOT LIFT FROM THE PAN DIRECTLY WITH THE JACK. USE A BOARD BETWEEN THE JACK AND THE PAN. Ok, enough shouting.... I just don't want to see you bend the pan...
    Christopher