GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question Motor swap? [Expired Topic]

Wife's 05 took a crap. Depending on damage, I might just drop a replacement motor in. Found a good 06, is it a straight motor swap from a 06 to a 05? Just wondering if any changes occurred that would slow a swap?

Running the wife to work, I work rotation and the 3 yr old. I have limited time trouble shooting.
    Little water made it to the oil.
    Started pulling plugs. 2,4,6 front head dry. #1 pulled and found antifreeze. 3 & 5 not pulled yet.

I was hoping a intake gasket.
    Is it possible for just 1 cylinder or one head to have water in it, if a intake gasket is leaking?

Legend

Sure is possible, but if one has gone then the other isnt too far off, if you can do it get em both done, then every gasket above it will be new and you should be good to go
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Quote Originally Posted by vncj96 View Post
    Sure is possible, but if one has gone then the other isnt too far off, if you can do it get em both done, then every gasket above it will be new and you should be good to go

I am talking about swapping the whole motor not just the heads.
    I was adding up the parts needed and possible head repairs. Like decking head flat again. It is less to just swap the motor, found a motor with 20000 miles compared to the wife current 70000 motor.

Legend

i am gonna throw another idea at ya. the 3400 is the same block as evrey other 3x00 motor GM makes, I would keep your block and swap in the heads and intake manifolds from a 3.5, check out domesticcrew .com they can give you alot more info on this also v6z24.com have some very smart guys when it comes to these 3x00 motors, It would be worth the look and asking a few questions. You could have a sweet equinox with over 200hp and better MPG. on either sight look for whitelightening2 he has a z24 with a full 3.5 swapped in and 275 hp he could do this swap in his sleep, he could also tell you depending on what tranny you have you could just swap the full 3.5 in
    Last edited by vncj96; 01-31-2009 at 09:40 PM.

Thanks, I did decied to keep this block. Will pull the heads and have them checked. Only 60 to boil and check them. And another 60 if they need to be surfaced/decked.
    I'm just waiting to see if and when the USW contract gets signed. I just dont have the extra cash to be messing with it now. Looks like I will need to pick up a manual for bolt up pattern & torque specs.