GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Ice + Snow = Broken Windshield Wiper

I was headed back from a job last night when I hear a loud SNAP! I though my windshield cracked. It turned out it was something to do with my wipers because only my drive side one works now. My question is, is there some kind of linkage or spring between the wipers that just could have broken or could it be the whole wiper motor?

Thanks in advance for you help!
    Zach
    Current Daily Driver:
    2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - 4WD - 4.8L V8 - True Dual Exhaust Setup, Cat Delete, Cherry Bomb Glass Packs

Legend

Blog Entries

These is only one wiper motor. If one wiper works then the motor is fine. Most likely the linkage between the two.
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

Is it something that can picked up from Auto Zone or someplace?

i think that would be a dealer part
    2004 chevy silverado "northwest edition" lifted on 35's

1990 cherokee lifted on 32's

Yeah. I had just got off the phone with auto zone. It either a salvage or dealer part. I'm going to tear a little more into it when some of the snow melts to see if that is the only problem. Thanks for the help.

I have got the same problem...about 3 weeks now...I've been too lazy to tear into it since it is still butt cold. Keep it posted what you figure out (i will do the same if i get anywhere) I just figured it was some type of shear pin or something

When I had that same problem, it turned out that the splines stripped out on the post that the wiper arm slips on to. My fix was to drill a small hole through the arm and into the post. I put a small self tapping screw in it, and never had an issue again.
    1987 chevy suburban 1/2 ton, tbi 5.7, 4 inch suspension lift, 35x14.50 Mickey Thompsons on 15x10 rims. More to come....

Ok, I had a chance to tear it apart Saturday. I had already stopped at a salvage yard and picked up a wiper transmission for $40. (A Brand New AC Delco Trans was $80) I opened it up, pulled out the whole transmission and motor. It turns out it that one of the joints came apart. I just took a rubber mallet and put it back together. I took the oppertunity to go ahead and lube everything with some jigaloo while i had it apart and It all works perfect now. Now I have a $40 Wiper Trans I dont need. LOL

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zachh1020 View Post
    Ok, I had a chance to tear it apart Saturday. I had already stopped at a salvage yard and picked up a wiper transmission for $40. (A Brand New AC Delco Trans was $80) I opened it up, pulled out the whole transmission and motor. It turns out it that one of the joints came apart. I just took a rubber mallet and put it back together. I took the oppertunity to go ahead and lube everything with some jigaloo while i had it apart and It all works perfect now. Now I have a $40 Wiper Trans I dont need. LOL
    My Salvage yards will take it back with in Thirty Days from purchase, so if it's a good yard see if they will! What about the receipt, does it have any info on return policies?

Jeff
    Last edited by JMoney02; 02-05-2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: spell
    JMoney02

Quote Originally Posted by JMoney02 View Post
    My Salvage yards will take it back with in Thirty Days from purchase, so if it's a good yard see if they will! What about the receipt, does it have any info on return policies?

Jeff

Its no big deal. I posted it in the for sale section on this website and if it dosen't sell atleast ill have it if i ever need it.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by