GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Legend

Default Seafoaming the intake??

Ok, so I read through the how-to but as far as getting it through the brake booster vacuum, are you guys just disconnecting the hose at the master cylinder or at the motor? If at the master cylinder are you just letting the vacuum suck it up into the hose then or what? Just want a little bit more clear directions for the intake.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Just disconnect the vacuum hose at the brake booster and stick it in the Seafoam can. You have to pull the hose out of the can and put your thumb over it everyonce in a while or the engine will die.
    I usually pour Seafoam into a smaller cup and let it suck it out of the cup cause one time I wasnt paying attention and sucked up a whole can, it wont hurt anything but then I didnt have any to put in the gas tank.

I disconnected it at the brake booster. I just poured some of the can into a cup, then dipped the hose into the cup a little at a time. Have someone else to kill the ignition when your through sucking it up. Let it sit about 10 min. then fire it up and watch the smokeshow.
    1999 Sierra ECSB, 5.3L, 3.42 Locking Rear, True Flow Filter, Dynomax Super Turbo, Lund Genesis Tri-Fold, Bully Tailgate Lock

From what I have been reading they have reformulated Seafoam and it no longer smokes. I plan to do a seafoam cleaning if I can ever get the truck started again.

Quote Originally Posted by 89Silverado View Post
    From what I have been reading they have reformulated Seafoam and it no longer smokes. I plan to do a seafoam cleaning if I can ever get the truck started again.
    Wheres the fun in that? Guess I'll have to find something new to smoke the neighbors out with.

Sr. Apprentice

When I do a Seafoam, I use an entire can in the intake. I use an additional can in the gas tank.

Last time I did it , about nine months ago, it still created S M O K E! I had fun taking it on the Interstate and laying a smoke screen! All three gassers get 'foamed once a year. The Diesel gets Lubro Moly Diesel Purge twice a year...

I just saw that 3M has a kit with a Seafoam like substance, a can of injector cleaner, and a can of throttle body cleaner. Has anybody tried it yet?
    I have no convictions ... I blow with the wind, and the prevailing wind happens to be from Vichy

The Herd:
    FoxyCleopatra '99 Chevy Suburban 159K mi
    Rudolf 86 Mercedes Benz 300SDL - 305+K mi
    Fritzie 84 BMW 528e 234k mi
    Jenny '74 Jeep CJ5 23000 mi Factory plow package

Former GM cars:
    1957 Nomad 283 4bbl rams horns,glasspacks disc brakes White over red
    1963 Corvair Monza 102hp convertible Aqua
    1963 Catalina 2dr 421 4bbl Navy/light blue
    1967 GTO 400 HO his/hers convertible White over red
    1971 Buick GS 455 Conv Black over red
    1977 Impala 305 2bbl Red/red
    1982 Celebrity Silver /blue 2.8 six
    1988 Corsica Red/red 2.8 six
    1996 Impala SS BBB/ gray LT1

Legend

I am ony doing this because of the miles on my truck just to clean everything up but have you guys noticed a change in anything afterwards, MPG or a little better response? also should the plugs be changed after this or should it not effect them?
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vncj96 View Post
    I am ony doing this because of the miles on my truck just to clean everything up but have you guys noticed a change in anything afterwards, MPG or a little better response? also should the plugs be changed after this or should it not effect them?
    You will notice a little better performance, MPG increase and only if you want to change the plugs, does not effect them as you would think.....Also seems to run more smoother....even on a low miles vehicle.

Jeff
    JMoney02

I seafoam the intake and fuel system on my Grand Prix once in a while to keep it running smoothly. Especially now that it broke 100k miles.

I told my friend to use it on his '96 vette and he said it hasn't run that smoothly since he first got it. Next to Lucas, I think it's definitely a must for any car of any mileage or year.

Just as the rest of the guys were telling you. 1 can through the brake booster vacuum line and 1 can in the tank. You can also add 1/3 can to your crank case, change the oil about 1000 miles later. The stuff works amazing, Ive got pretty much everyone in my family to use it. I use it in my quad, bike, and truck.

There are a few how-tos on www.youtube.com just type in seafoam and theres a lot of movies on it.

You dont have to change your plugs afterwords.