GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Source LED Instrument Panel lights

I finally got around to tearing my dash apart enough to get to my instrument cluster. So, I pulled out the main bulb I was after that illuminates the bottom half of my speedometer. Well, it appeared that the bulb was non-removeable from the base. Everything I can find lists it at one of 3 sylvania bulbs, none of which had the base to go into the instrument cluster. However, I dissected the bulb assembly I pulled out and it appears to be one of these normal bulbs with the legs bent out and soldered to the base. The base says PC168 and to replace entire assembly. I was able to make out 168 on the bulb also, which corresponds to a sylvania bulb. So, in the end, I want replace these bulbs with the brightest LED bulbs I can find. I like bright dashes and I NEVER want to have to tear back into the dash this far.... Thanks in advance.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

So are you going to post some pictures when its all done?
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

it sounds like your bulbs are like my newer ones. to change them, you need to remove the bulb from the base -pull really hard- and bend the contacts on your new type 168 led bulb to meet the contacts in the base. press firmly and make sure theyre tight- i have one out because it was lose. when you put them back in, you may also have to turn some a half turn as led bulbs only work one direction. hope this helps!

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

After doing some investigation on the Autozone website, it looks like they sell replacement bases for the instrument panel. I still need to find some suitable LEDs to put in the bases. Tommorow is another day and I'll hopefully find and get all the parts I need locally to replace all these bulbs and get the dash back together... but it's doubtful. I'll probably have to order some bulbs that emit the right light pattern for the instrument panel. I'll get some pics after it's done.

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Hey, Crawdaddy, did you do a search on this I remember a post last month and the person who did the work stated where they got the bulbs they used from. They also stated that you did need to pull them hard out from the base and when reinstalling them they used a small amount of some type adhesive to hold them in place since I believe he had to take it a part once after putting it back together because a bulb came loose? I believe it showed a night picture of the dash after he was done.....Will this help?????

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...ht=dash+lights

Jeff
    Last edited by JMoney02; 02-01-2009 at 01:45 AM.
    JMoney02

Blog Entries

Try THIS LINK out Christopher.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

also, try my how-to LED swap. Your process sounds very similar to mine.

Quote Originally Posted by pmf608 View Post
    also, try my how-to LED swap. Your process sounds very similar to mine.
    Did you have to get any special pattern bulbs or anything? I thought that the instrument panel lights for general illumination ran off of indirect light. LEDs provide fairly directed light, which would leave dark portions of the cluster. I was planning on getting some of the LED bulbs that consist of several LEDs on one socket to provide more 360 degree light. Any thoughts on that?

the bulbs i used each have 2 leds in them, and a plastic refractor on both sides to help spread light. You can see in the pictures some spots are slightly darker but it is not as noticable as it is in the pictures. The bulbs are preset in the bases for a standard 194/168 application. You just have to bend the contacts to the side because of the housing contacts. I would def. go for the bulbs with multiple leds and any other features to provide better light direction. Hope this helps.

where can one buy these blue LED lights to install in your dash what size and how many would you need to do the swap?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by