GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Towing Question - 2008 Silverado Crew Cab

Got an 08 Silverado Crew cab yesterday with the 5.3 liter engine, 4x4. I really like it (so far) and took a run to the lake today with the boat to see how it would handle and it did great. My question is with the button on the end of the gear shift, the one that turns on the picture of the trailer.

What does it do? I didn't notice an rpm change when I used it. Anyone who can explain its function, please do so and thanks in advance for the help.

Stubby

it changes your shift points on when it shifts so it will rev higher before it shift to make it easier going up hills getting going from a stop so you don't need to be on the pedal so much
    2004 chevy silverado "northwest edition" lifted on 35's

1990 cherokee lifted on 32's

In my friends powerstroke it also acts as a limiter going down hill. You turn that on and then tap the brakes and the tranny downshifts and engine brakes for you. Pretty cool considering it's in a ford.
    Dan
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 350 vortec
    1967 Jeep M725 ambulance 230 tornado
    1990 Cherokee Limited- 3 inch lift on 33's
    ...and every one of em has issues

If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to send me or any other GMTC moderators a PM

doesnt it also keep it from going into overdrive?
    2004 Silverado 1500 2wd Ext. Cab

Quote Originally Posted by 1slols1 View Post
    Yess... Tow haul is very helpfull I think
    Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses:

Quote Originally Posted by 1slols1 View Post
    ??? if you didn't want it to go into overdrive just keep it in 3rd
    2004 chevy silverado "northwest edition" lifted on 35's

1990 cherokee lifted on 32's

When I press th Tow / Haul button I get a very different motor / drive train response. Hill descent is activated, this maintains your forward speed when the vehicle senses it is going down ill. In other words, it uses the tranny to maintain speed and not accelerate. It is also very useful when towing in town. As soon as you apply the breaks the motor and tranny help slow the truck down. I do not have a transmission with overdrive so I still get all 6 speeds ut have a tap shift up and down buttons for manual selection. Also when the tow button is pressed I get more electric power to the 12 volt line at the 7 pin plug at the hitch. Lastly the blinker has an auto 3 blink program it does when you tap the indicator lever, when tow mode is on the blinker automatically flashes 6 times when the lever is turned on. Hope that helps you.
    Also, the owners manual suggests that the tow mode not be used unless you are towing 75% or more of the trucks capabilities. But verrify that with our users manual and I find it useful when towing much less than 75%.
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by tlperry68 View Post
    When I press th Tow / Haul button I get a very different motor / drive train response. Hill descent is activated, this maintains your forward speed when the vehicle senses it is going down ill. In other words, it uses the tranny to maintain speed and not accelerate. It is also very useful when towing in town. As soon as you apply the breaks the motor and tranny help slow the truck down. I do not have a transmission with overdrive so I still get all 6 speeds ut have a tap shift up and down buttons for manual selection. Also when the tow button is pressed I get more electric power to the 12 volt line at the 7 pin plug at the hitch. Lastly the blinker has an auto 3 blink program it does when you tap the indicator lever, when tow mode is on the blinker automatically flashes 6 times when the lever is turned on. Hope that helps you.
    Also, the owners manual suggests that the tow mode not be used unless you are towing 75% or more of the trucks capabilities. But verrify that with our users manual and I find it useful when towing much less than 75%.
    You have a ally in yours , its not the same as what he has, it does not work the same as yours.

If its not an HD with the Allison Tranny, you dont get the Hill descent. You will have to down shift to 3rd or even 2nd when slowing on a down hill. With the 5.3 it will only change your shift points and make it easier to get going and/or make it up a hill.
    2007 GMC Sierra 1500 MAX
    K&N Air Filter
    Magnaflow Exhaust