GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

i think the epa is knocking on my door!!!

well that is the joy of living in Indiana there isn't any epa crap out here. God I love the midwest.
    99' Z71 extended cab 3 door

Theres no EPA in alabama either. It makes me happy
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 97,000 - totaled, RIP
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 122,000 (K&N 77 Series CAI, PowerAid TBS, Magnaflow dual rear exit, 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Tuff Country Torsion Keys, Tuff Country Add-A-Leafs)
    1966 C10 swb stepside (Gen I 350, Turbo 400 trans, dual cyl power brakes, front discs)
    I'll keep my money, guns, and freedom. You keep the Change.

leave these on ,if your not getting a p0420 code the cats are fine even high flow cats, the check engine light maty still come on,gm vehicles are fussy with flow you may get away with a complete high flow system always change you fuel filter it can make a night and day difference in the way it runs

Hate to burst ya'lls bubble but just because there's no state emissions requirements or EPA there's still a federal EPA and EPA requirements, and they can and will fine you $10,000 per tampered with or removed mandatory smog device, i.e. catalytic convertors.
    You may not have noticed them yet but every state (Indianna and Alabama included) has portable roadside check stations that will sniff your vehicle as it drives by, if it detects high threshholds or certain gasses they have an on board camera that snaps a picture of your license plate and in a few weeks you can expect a letter in the mail to inform you your vehicle is not in compliance with EPA clean air standards. Failure to comply or aknowledge this letter can get you a visit and mandatory vehicle inspection with a Federal court date for clear up the little matter of your vehicles emissions issues.
    Dont confuse yourself these are Federal checkpoints and they will make you comply. Your state wont back you one bit if they want to continue getting Federal Highway funding.

I would say leave them on as well. to me it is not worth it for the ticket you can get and there well be minimal power gain if any at all
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

Legend

if its stuck in your mind to get high flow cats go ahead, remember this though your cats have some very expensive and valuable metal in them, you can probably get a coupple hundred bucks apiece for thse, if you find the right metal recycler that can take them. This is what happens with those guys you see in the want add that buy your junked cars they are selling the cats for alot more then they give you for the car
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

okay well your all discussing this issue i have a 2003 silverado 1500 HD that i cut the cats out of i never put in o2 simulator or nothing the truck runs perfectly fine the only thing i ran into is that it was extremely loud after that the mod was done.

Jr. Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by vncj96 View Post
    if its stuck in your mind to get high flow cats go ahead, remember this though your cats have some very expensive and valuable metal in them, you can probably get a coupple hundred bucks apiece for thse, if you find the right metal recycler that can take them. This is what happens with those guys you see in the want add that buy your junked cars they are selling the cats for alot more then they give you for the car

They are valuable. I used to check the scrap bin at work for cats and I would find one every once in a while. I think I found a total of 4 or 5 and I usually got about $50 a piece for them. I've heard about people going to their trucks in the morning to find that the exhaust is terribly loud because somebody crawled underneath it at night a cut the cat off.
    99 Silverado Z71 4.8
    2" Suspension lift (Add-a-leafs and leveling keys)
    Long tube headers with 3" offroad Y-Pipe
    Volant Cold Air Intake with Ram Air Intake Tube
    Jet Mass Air Flow Sensor
    Diablosport Predator Tuner

Previous Truck:
    97 Suburban K1500
    3" Body lift
    2" Suspension Lift (Add-a-leafs and cranked up torsion bars)
    35" Yokohama M/T's
    K&N Intake
    Airraid Throttle Body Spacer
    Hypertech Programmer
    Dual Flowmasters

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by werty View Post
    punch them out and put em back on....but you didnt hear it from me....

ha ha im with him we have done it a time or 2... truck runs fine 25,000 miles later.. epa kick rocks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast