GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Default Something so simple, appears to be difficult...

    I know that this is going to come across as a stupid question, but it isn't. I just purchased a 2009 Silverado LT1 and I would like to change the front amber parking lights to the Silverstar bulbs. I had these bulbs in my 1999 Silverado and really like the looks of them and would like to transfer the look to the new truck. But I can't figure out how to get to the parking light bulb sockets. I have removed the black plastic cover inside the wheel well thinking that I could gain access to them there. That did not work. I removed the long plastic cover under the hood above the radiator and once again, no luck. From inside the engine compartment, you can barely see the sockets for them through the lightening holes but there is no way of getting my hands on them to change them. I couldn't even see how to remove the entire headlight assembly to change them. I can not believe that something that should be so simple, appears to be so difficult. Is there anybody out there that can help me with directions on how to gain access to them so that I can change them out. I appreciate any and all help. Thanks.

  2. #2

    Default

    Haynes repair manuael is an awsome investment 20 bucks if you plan on keeping truck a while auto zone has them i have one for 01 firebird and 95 sonoma both running your vehicle is your investment
    Last edited by johnsstart; 02-04-2009 at 02:21 AM.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnsstart View Post
    Haynes repair manuael is an awsome investment 20 bucks if you plan on keeping truck a while auto zone has them i have one for 01 firebird and 95 sonoma both running your vehicle is your investment
    I completely agree, I even buy ones for cars my friends own so that when they come over to work on their cars (i.e. me working on them while they "supervise") I have some basic knowledge of the vehicle. I am not sure if they have a Haynes/Chilton for the NBS Silverado/Sierra.


    Chris
    2005 Silverado - 4.3L, 5spd Manual, K&N Drop in Filter, Modded Air box
    Kenwood KDC-MP732 Head Unit, Pioneer 760W Amp, 2x 10" MTX Thunder 6000 subs, Uniden PC68XL CB/PA

    2004 Cavalier - 2.2L Auto
    Bone Stock

    1977 Toyota Celica GT - 20R (2.2L), 5spd, 146,000 Miles all Original (even the clutch)

  4. #4

    Default

    I'm not sure if this applies to the 09's, but on my Dad's 05, there is a rod above the headlight under the hood that you pull up and the whole light assembly comes out. Makes it a snap to replace the bulbs.
    Gary

    99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

  5. #5
    Jr. Mechanic SilveradoBrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fort Lupton, CO
    Posts
    99
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I don't believe you can get a haynes or chilton for a 2009. Usually you have to wait a few years before they become available. It sucks, I know! Maybe you could call a dealership and ask them how to do it. My local town shop is really good about helping you find out info even if you are not bringing it in to them. If not maybe the dealership can order you a repair manual if you can't find them at vatozone or checker. Good luck!

    P.S. I know the feeling it took me all afternoon one day to figure out how to get them out of my 96 becuase you have to remove the entire grille to get acces to the passanger side light. Headlights that is. My style ambers just screw on and off, sounds like chevy made it different on the 09.
    1996 Chevy K1500 Silverado Z71
    -248000 miles
    -The legendary 350 small block V8 (5.7L)
    -Sound System with a 10'' kicker L5 sub and 1300W amp in a sealed box



  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilveradoBrett View Post
    I don't believe you can get a haynes or chilton for a 2009. Usually you have to wait a few years before they become available. It sucks, I know! Maybe you could call a dealership and ask them how to do it. My local town shop is really good about helping you find out info even if you are not bringing it in to them. If not maybe the dealership can order you a repair manual if you can't find them at vatozone or checker. Good luck!

    P.S. I know the feeling it took me all afternoon one day to figure out how to get them out of my 96 becuase you have to remove the entire grille to get acces to the passanger side light. Headlights that is. My style ambers just screw on and off, sounds like chevy made it different on the 09.
    Thanks. You are right. They do not have Haynes or Chilton maunuals out yet for the 09 Silverado. I appreciate the info about the dealerships. I did not think that they would tell you how to do something like that since they wouldn't be doing the work. I will call around and see what I can find out. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    I'm not sure if this applies to the 09's, but on my Dad's 05, there is a rod above the headlight under the hood that you pull up and the whole light assembly comes out. Makes it a snap to replace the bulbs.
    You are right about this. My old 99 Silverado was set up like that. It took like 10 minutes to change all the headlights and turn signals. The 09's are set up totally different. Actually they changed this on the 08 models.

    I do appreciate your input though. Thanks.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnsstart View Post
    Haynes repair manuael is an awsome investment 20 bucks if you plan on keeping truck a while auto zone has them i have one for 01 firebird and 95 sonoma both running your vehicle is your investment
    Thanks for the info but the Haynes repair manual is not available for the 09 Silverado yet. I had one for my 99 Silverado and you are right, they are an awesome investment. As soon as they become available, I will definitely purchase one for my new 09 Silverado.

    I appreciate your input though. Thanks.

  9. #9
    Sr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Old Bridge NJ
    Posts
    41

    Default

    I purchased my leftover 09 Silverado 2500HD in Feb. of this year. Went to Auto Zone and ordered the Haynes manual for 2007-2009 Silverado 2WD and 4WD. Got it in 2 days.

  10. #10
    Legend Bigbomber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Winnipeg,Manitoba,Canada
    Posts
    5,089

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by troyb View Post
    I purchased my leftover 09 Silverado 2500HD in Feb. of this year. Went to Auto Zone and ordered the Haynes manual for 2007-2009 Silverado 2WD and 4WD. Got it in 2 days.
    Thanks for the info troyb ,i have been looking for 1 everywhere and not having any luck.
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Check gauges light appears on acceleration
    By 2wheelmudder in forum GM Powertrain
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-17-2010, 10:35 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-14-2010, 05:00 PM
  3. Difficult cold start
    By tinman in forum Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-19-2010, 04:29 PM
  4. 94 4.3 vortec swap into a 92 2.8, how difficult?
    By Falcone in forum GM Powertrain
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-29-2009, 10:44 PM
  5. Trailer wire diagram appears upside down
    By radar625 in forum Audio, Video & Gadget Tech
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-08-2009, 02:57 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •