GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: 4wd clunk

Blog Entries

Default 4wd clunk

Each time I drive in 4wd i hear a loud clunk, mostly during slow tight turning but also sometimes just when starting to move straight ahead.almost sounds like a u joint but super loud. I have checked every thin out and all seams tight and not worn. I know whata cv joint sounds like when it's going and this definitely is not a cv joint. I has almost a ping noise to it like if you were to push a dent out of sheet metal. Any thoughts?

also it is mostly when driving in reverse and turning.
    BRYAN

"IF YOU DON'T TREAT IT LIKE A TRUCK IT'S JUST A REALLY BIG CAR"

02' Avalanche 2500 Onyx Black
    8.1L Vortec
    43,000 miles

4wd's don't like to turn tight when in 4wd, especially on dry pavement. A clunk in those situations is normal, but try to avoid them because it will damage the transfer case. The noise you hear when just starting out could be a little play in the transfer case. Someone else can probably help you some more.
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

Sounds like the 4wd binding up and releasing. Normal in 4H/4L on a good traction surface, though it does indicate that something will likely break if you continue the practice. 4H/4L should only be used when traction is poor enough to allow the wheels to slip.

I had a truck do something similar when I had mis matched tires (same size but different manufacturer). The size difference between manufacturers was enough to cause the drivetrain to bind up and release with a clunk.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrShorty View Post
    Sounds like the 4wd binding up and releasing. Normal in 4H/4L on a good traction surface, though it does indicate that something will likely break if you continue the practice. 4H/4L should only be used when traction is poor enough to allow the wheels to slip.

I had a truck do something similar when I had mis matched tires (same size but different manufacturer). The size difference between manufacturers was enough to cause the drivetrain to bind up and release with a clunk.

I do have different manufacturer tires, they are the same size but the rear look a smidge smaller. I thought it was an optical illusion because of the front end rake on the avalanche. Looks like I have to find 4 new tires. Thanks for the quick replies guys.

BRYAN

"IF YOU DON'T TREAT IT LIKE A TRUCK IT'S JUST A REALLY BIG CAR"

02' Avalanche 2500 Onyx Black
    8.1L Vortec
    43,000 miles