GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Replacing The Intake Gasket

My 03 Silverado is Idiling really rough, and has stalled out a few times. The Check Engine light is on and is saying System too lean. My Mech. and I came to the conclusion that it was the intake gaskets since Chevys have a problem with this anyway.

My question is, is this something I could do in my driveway fairly easy? If not, is this something I can drive on for a little until i can afford to get it fixed?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Z
    Current Daily Driver:
    2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - 4WD - 4.8L V8 - True Dual Exhaust Setup, Cat Delete, Cherry Bomb Glass Packs

Jr. Mechanic

Default replacing intake gasket

Depends on your level or experience mechanically but if you do it yourself you will likely save yourself four or five hundred dollars. I was quoted around five hundred and I did it for about sixty myself. Make sure you have a torque wrench and follow the haynes manual to the letter. It should be done in temperatures above 60 degrees for proper torqueing reasons and proper cureing of the RTV gasket sealer, also clean bolts and holes are a must along with the use of loc tite thread locker. It took me about six hours of actual work and I let it cure over night before I fired it up. Great learning experience and testosterone booster lol.

i would make sure this is whats wrong i assuming its a v8 4.8 or 5.3 i worked on these a long time i never seen this problem to much i would find someone with a smoke machine to comfirm this,now if its a 4.3 v6 these go bad often if you need advise please post your question

It is a 4.8L V8. We have checked the MAF Sensor and the Ox Sensor and they are both fine. I dont know anyone with a smoke machine, could I spray starter fluid around the manifold?

Also, is it ok to drive with this problem?

Thanks
    Z
    Current Daily Driver:
    2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - 4WD - 4.8L V8 - True Dual Exhaust Setup, Cat Delete, Cherry Bomb Glass Packs

Jr. Mechanic

Default intake gasket

This site may be some help to you http://www.random-misfire.com/ go down to "click here to jump to page 3". On page 3 go down about two thirds of the way and click on "random misfire"
    Starting fluid is a bad idea since it is VERY flamable and can puddle and run off and cause quite a flash when it hits the exhaust manifold or some point of ignition also starting fluid in the combustion cycle of the engine is very harsh on aluminum pistons. As far as driving it I'll leave that up to your gut feeling I had an intermittent code p0300 and a rumble or vibration whenever I floored it and let off or when I got above 60 MPH and drove it for months like this til I finally found out it was the intake gasket, now it runs like brand new, apparently no harm done.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixdit View Post
    This site may be some help to you http://www.random-misfire.com/ go down to "click here to jump to page 3". On page 3 go down about two thirds of the way and click on "random misfire"
    Starting fluid is a bad idea since it is VERY flamable and can puddle and run off and cause quite a flash when it hits the exhaust manifold or some point of ignition also starting fluid in the combustion cycle of the engine is very harsh on aluminum pistons. As far as driving it I'll leave that up to your gut feeling I had an intermittent code p0300 and a rumble or vibration whenever I floored it and let off or when I got above 60 MPH and drove it for months like this til I finally found out it was the intake gasket, now it runs like brand new, apparently no harm done.
    Thanks for the link, but i do not see "Click here to jump to page 3" anywhere on that page. Maybe I'm just crazy.
    Current Daily Driver:

Jr. Mechanic

Default intake gasket

OOPS sorry that link takes you directly where I was intending for you , I have linked that page before and it usually takes you to page one and you have to navagate to page three from there, anyways there is a section titled "finding vacuum leaks" that may be helpful.

Thank!
    Current Daily Driver:

Legend

That just doesnt seem right, if that gasket was going you would be losing oil or coolant and you would see the coolant on the ground most likely or you are gonna see it on the spark plugs and possibly out he tail pipes, what is the actual code # it gave you. the only Chevys i know of that are known for intake gaskets are the 4.3 and 5.7, never heard of that as common on the 5.3
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Jr. Mechanic

Default intake gasket

Mine didn't loose any oil or antifreeze and the plugs looked fine thats why I tried every thing under the sun for four months and the intake gasket was out of desperation and the fact that a gasket was only $56. When I got the old one out I could see two small ( less than a quarter of an inch) spots on the top of the drivers side that were discolored. I agree that the 4.3 and 5.7 are notorious for gasket problems though and I would be sure the EGR valve is not the problem first.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast