GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Sr. Apprentice

Default No Front Speakers? No Chimes?

Hi, New to the forum and new to owning my 2005 Regular Cab 2WD Silverado 1500 W/T. What I got is a really basic truck that's all stock including the AM/FM radio which is soon to be replaced. My question is that the stock radio has a fader to front speakers and there are speaker grills in the doors but I got no sound. Did these trucks come with a stereo with a fader but with only 2 rear pillar speakers? Wouldn't be the strangest thing Chevy has ever done. Also a reputable local stereo installer initially told me I would need a GM0S-01 for about $85 for the door chimes to work. That was when I realized there are no door chimes from my truck if I leave the key in the ignition and open the door or turn the headlght switch to on as opposed to 'Auto' either. Should it?

Thanx, -Pete.

Sr. Apprentice

OK so I got the Kenwood MP208 headunit in and yes I did need the $85 GM0S-01 for it to plug right in and guess what now I have chimes :seatbelt reminder, headlight on reminder, key in ignition reminder.
    For right now the unit is hooked up to the factory rear pillar speakers and it sounds great! I can't wait to get the front speakers in which brings to mind the next question. The same reputable stereo installer also told me even if I don't have front speakers it's likely that the wiring is already in place anyway. Does anybody know if this true? I'm hoping to do this project tomorrow as it will 50+ degrees here in NJ and will be able to work in my driveway. I need to know if I have to budget time to run wiring or not which I don't think I would be able to do tomorrow but if it's just pop the door panels, plug in the speaker and mount I'll be good to go.

Thanx, -Pete.

From what I understand a lot of normal wires are pre existing. It is cheaper for the manufacture to order asy 50,000 exact parts rather than 40,000 for this modle and 10,000 for another model. Some things like the remote garage door opener wires, XM / NAV antenna wires and modules are non installed. Neither is the wiring for the roof top cab light now that I think of it. Let us know what happens.
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

yea might be true i just installed my entertainment system in my 06 silverado and when i pulled out the stock head unit i found alot of wires not in use being my original had no bose or on star or anyting but all the wiring was there. but better do it today if you have time cause it might rain here in nj tomorrow
    be all thats ends all

Sr. Apprentice

Didn't get to do it today. The wife's 'Nox needed both headlight bulbs replaced! Couldn't believe I had to take half the front vehicle apart to get them. Some Chevy engineer must have had a great laugh with that one. What's the odd of both headlight bulbs going out within 24 hours of each other, at least I only had to take it apart once.
    :star: Keep Drivin' -Pete.

2005 Reg Cab Short Bed
    4.3 V6/5 Speed
    W/T