GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Erratic Oil Pressure

Hello Folks,
    Coming home from out of town last night, I noticed the oil pressure on my 04 Tahoe was reading zero. I pulled over and checked the oil level and everything seemed OK. No overheating or anything out of the norm. I started it this morning and the pressure is reading fine. Could this be an oil pressure sending unit going bad or just a glitch in the electrical system?
    Thanks,
    Southland

Yes it could be the sending unit. If possible get the sending unit tested, and at the same time test get the gauge.
    I'm betting on the sending unit being bad.

I have a similar issue. It only happens when driving 20-30 miles in ston-and-go traffic. The oil pressure would keep showing lower and lower until it drops to 0. Is the sending unit getting hot? Kind of strange. I let it cool down, and it works again. I did not think there was anything there that would explaim why. Any ideas?

On a Dodge Durango I sometimes drive the gauge acts like that, but I can turn the vehicle off and right back on and it regains oil pressure. I always figured it was a sludge motor and/or the pump was going out. I wonder if that's the issue with it...

Back to your regularly scheduled GM talk...
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

yeah sounds like there goin out a good way to see is look at the plug and disconnect it if theres any oil residue or moisture then chances are its shorting out oil residue means it starting to leak and the sensor is damaged most come off easy but you will need an special socket for em simple teflon tape on the threads after you have drianed your oil (recommend doin at oil change time) remove the old one and intsall the new one then add your oil and your all set

You shouldn't have to drain the oil to change the sending unit. The oil galleys are full/under pressure only when the engine is running. I did one on my 89 years ago. I might have lost a little oil, but not much.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Jr. Mechanic

Default oil pressure

I have a 97 k1500 and for nine years since I bought it the oil pressure is 20 at an idle and a little over 40 while driving. It is 40 to 60 until it gets warmed up. I run 5w-30 oil.

Jr. Mechanic

Default oil pressure

Just ignore my last post , sorry, somehow got it on the wrong thread.