GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: CB wiring

Default CB wiring

I want to install a CB radio in my truck ,the Cobra Classic 29LTD, and I am not sure how to wire it properly and dont want to blow a fuse or over load the circuits. Anybody have some ideas.
    09 Silverado single cab 4.8
    20% tint
    6000k hids
    cherry bomb extreme dumped
    smoked tailights
    3inch lift
    black bowties
    train horns

Heres 2 ways to run your CB:

Keyed, only works when the ignition key is on.
    Parts needed:
    Relay
    Black 12, 14, or 16 ga. wire
    Red 12, 14, or 16 ga. wire
    3 Blade connectors
    1 Lg ring connector
    1 small ring connector
    1 tap splice
    2 Butt end connectors
    Locate semi-dry place to mount the relay on the firewall.
    Run pwr wire + (red) from the battery to the "Batt" terminal on the relay, use a lg ring connector at the battery and a blade connector at the relay.
    Run pwr wire + (red) from "Acc" terminal on the relay to the red + wire on the CB, you'll have to route the wire through an existing grommet on the firewal, use a blade connector on the relay and a butt end connector on the two wires.
    Locate a wire from the fuse box that connects to an accessory that only works when the key is on, for example the windshield wipers, use a tap splice to connect a pwr + (red) wire through a grommet on the firewall and connect to the "sig" terminal on the relay with a blade connector.
    If there isnt a good ground spot near the radio mounting place use a butt end connector to splice a longer piece of grnd - (blk) wire on, use a smal ring connector to attach the ground to a suitable ground point inside the cab (any screw running though metal should suffice.

Full time hot, works all the time no matter what position the key is in.
    Parts needed:
    Black 12, 14, or 16 ga. wire
    Red 12, 14, or 16 ga. wire
    1 lg ring connector
    1 small ring connector
    1 in-line fuse
    2 butt end connectors
    Run a pwr + (red) wire from the battery through an existing grommet on the firewall to the radio, between the radio wire and the new power wire connect the in line fuse using a butt end connector at each splice (the radio may have a fuse already but this redundancy wont hurt).
    If needed splice in extra grnd - (blk) wire and connect to a suitable ground under the dash.

Sorry if this sounds simplified but I dont know your level of electrical experience.
    I recommend the keyed method because if you forget and leave the radio in the full hot method you could kill the battery.

Thanks I am not that experienced but this will help me alot.

Where are you mounting the radio? I have the center consuel that doesn't give me any room on the floor board. I saw a picture of a radio installed under the arm rest of the consuel. It looked like a good idea. And there is a power out let already installed there.
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by tlperry68 View Post
    Where are you mounting the radio? I have the center consuel that doesn't give me any room on the floor board. I saw a picture of a radio installed under the arm rest of the consuel. It looked like a good idea. And there is a power out let already installed there.
    not sure I was prolly going to put it under the center consuel so I dont have to put any holes

its not hard at all run a fused power wire from pos on your bat and ground the other wire black to a metal ground near your cb thats it.
    be all thats ends all