GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by mjalstad View Post
    Logging and tuning your vehicle is the best you can do, and that is somethign I would recommend if you are local. That's cool that they will let you log your vehicle and then they do a specific tune for you, I have never heard of that and that is pretty neat, but you can't tune a vehicle properly with just one tune. True, that is probably going to be better than a Hypertech where all you can choose is "tune" or "no tune". But in order to get a vehicle correct, you have to tweak the tune multiple times. This would probably work ok if you have a new stock truck that is not that far off of where it should be, but if you have an older truck with a lot of modifications, it's going to take a lot more. Trust me, my last vehicle was a highly modified Grand Prix GTP that I converted to E85 and I did all of the tuning on it.

Also, if you use the predator, you can view and log real time data. Then you can tweak your tune and log again, tweak, and log, etc. This is the reason I bought the Predator for my truck instead of the Hypertech. The predator also has torque management settings that you can play with. Also, I bought my predator for $200 on ebay, simply plugged it in (didn't have to mess with removing my PCM twice), and when I sell my truck I can sell the predator on ebay for $200 again, and in the mean time I can use my predator to read and clear DTCs and view real time data to diagnose any problems that may occur.

I sometimes get the feeling that nelson and blackbear have employees on this forum that pretend to be regular people that are simply advertising, which would probably be a pretty good marketing scheme.

Blackbear is just one guy. I know tuning can be a bitch. My Cobalt ss/sc was a bitch to tune. Blackbear uses EFI live and they are coming out with a Handheld that you can you store multiple tunes and will be able to log with and send to any tuner that uses EFI and do whatever you want pretty much.
    2008 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 4wd LT1 Package with 20" wheel upgrade,K&N CAI, Magnaflow Catback Dual Side Exit, Tuff Country 2" Leveling Kit, Blackbear Tune, 6k HIDS Low and High Beams, 3K HID fog lights, LED tailight bar

Quote Originally Posted by Stouffer View Post
    Blackbear is just one guy. I know tuning can be a bitch. My Cobalt ss/sc was a bitch to tune. Blackbear uses EFI live and they are coming out with a Handheld that you can you store multiple tunes and will be able to log with and send to any tuner that uses EFI and do whatever you want pretty much.

well it sounds like a good idea cause to be honest if i bought a tuner i wouldn't wanna over due something on the engine and not knowning that i'am and blow something up cause how do you know the max limit you can go on those things. i'am a mechanic by trade but never played with those do it yourself tuners. so are they regulated so you can't blow something up?

Jr. Engineer

Yeah, I guess that is a good point, a lot of people don't know what exactly they are doing so the blackbear tune would be a better idea. The tuner will allow you to go up to a pretty high point so if you had no idea what you were doing, it is possible that you could mess the fuel trims up real bad and/or add way too much spark timing, but they are not that difficult to use to get dialed in. If you're a mechanic by trade you shouldn't have a problem as long as you are knowledgable with computer controlled vehicles. Basically you just hook up the tuner and drive, watch your fuel trims and then adjust them to get them close to zero. Then hook up the tuner, drive and watch your spark timing and knock retard, if you're not getting any KR ever, you can bump the timing up, if you are getting KR you bump the timing down. It's not too bad and it would be hard to mess up.
    99 Silverado Z71 4.8
    2" Suspension lift (Add-a-leafs and leveling keys)
    Long tube headers with 3" offroad Y-Pipe
    Volant Cold Air Intake with Ram Air Intake Tube
    Jet Mass Air Flow Sensor
    Diablosport Predator Tuner

Previous Truck:
    97 Suburban K1500
    3" Body lift
    2" Suspension Lift (Add-a-leafs and cranked up torsion bars)
    35" Yokohama M/T's
    K&N Intake
    Airraid Throttle Body Spacer
    Hypertech Programmer
    Dual Flowmasters

I am definately going with a black bear tune because it sounds like he can do so much more that a simple hand held tune.

i have a 6.0 and get 30 mpg stock...............................on a trailer idiling
    no replacment for displacment:great:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12