GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Question about the bowtie on tailgate....

I just bought a 2009 Silverado LT1 and I was wondering if anyone knew how the bowtie on the tailgate is attached. I would like to remove it and install a chrome bowtie.

I appreciate any and all help on this. Thanks.

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Either DBL Sided tape by a 3M adhesive or inside the tailgate with spped nuts on two posts attached to the back of the emblem. In which case you would need to remove the inside bed cover to get at it. If attached by tape, use a heat gun if you have it, your mothers/wife hair dryer to soften the tape and use a plastic spreader or fishing line behind the emblem to get it off. Use Goof Off, Goo Gone or your perferd choice to remove the rest of the adhesive. Clean with a good solvent, attach your new one as the old one was attached.

Jeff
    JMoney02

A buddy of mine removed his, it was DBL sided tape, we used dental floss and WD-40.

Chris
    2005 Silverado - 4.3L, 5spd Manual, K&N Drop in Filter, Modded Air box
    Kenwood KDC-MP732 Head Unit, Pioneer 760W Amp, 2x 10" MTX Thunder 6000 subs, Uniden PC68XL CB/PA

2004 Cavalier - 2.2L Auto
    Bone Stock

1977 Toyota Celica GT - 20R (2.2L), 5spd, 146,000 Miles all Original (even the clutch)

Quote Originally Posted by JMoney02 View Post
    Either DBL Sided tape by a 3M adhesive or inside the tailgate with spped nuts on two posts attached to the back of the emblem. In which case you would need to remove the inside bed cover to get at it. If attached by tape, use a heat gun if you have it, your mothers/wife hair dryer to soften the tape and use a plastic spreader or fishing line behind the emblem to get it off. Use Goof Off, Goo Gone or your perferd choice to remove the rest of the adhesive. Clean with a good solvent, attach your new one as the old one was attached.

Jeff
    Thanks Jeff, I greatly appreciate it. Also thanks for the tip about the fishing line. I didn't think of that. Good idea.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by 05azsilver View Post
    A buddy of mine removed his, it was DBL sided tape, we used dental floss and WD-40.
    Thanks Chris, I really appreciate it.

Kevin