GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Instrument Panel Lights (some not working)

Greetings all,

I've got a 2000 Yukon XL and a number of the lights in the instrument panel, radio, cassette and HVAC are not working. About 1/2 on the radio don't work.

Anything available the speaks to how to replace these lights? Could it be a fuse, though only some are not working?

Love my truck, but I'm bummed these lights are not working. What's the process for accessing these lights? I note a piece of trim around the dash that seems like it could come off with enought "force". How hard is it to get off?

Thanks for considering,

Tim

Legend

Blog Entries

Tim, unfortunately it seems as though you are due for a few new pieces in your truck. The heating/air controls are a module that needs to be replaced. As far as I know there is no way to open it up and change out the lights. The ones in the cluster you should be able to get to. There is a write-up about it in the Write-Up and How-To forum. The radio is the same as the heater/air unit.. there is no way, to my knowledge, to crack it open to replace the lights. It just may be time for a new one. Fortunately for you if you want to stay with factory radio you can most likely to and find an exact replacement at a salvage yard. Not only that but they are normally really inexpensive. The same goes for the heating/ac controller. You shouldn't have to spend more than, say, about $50 for those two.

Good luck,
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

Quote Originally Posted by Springthing View Post
    Tim, unfortunately it seems as though you are due for a few new pieces in your truck. The heating/air controls are a module that needs to be replaced. As far as I know there is no way to open it up and change out the lights. The ones in the cluster you should be able to get to. There is a write-up about it in the Write-Up and How-To forum. The radio is the same as the heater/air unit.. there is no way, to my knowledge, to crack it open to replace the lights. It just may be time for a new one. Fortunately for you if you want to stay with factory radio you can most likely to and find an exact replacement at a salvage yard. Not only that but they are normally really inexpensive. The same goes for the heating/ac controller. You shouldn't have to spend more than, say, about $50 for those two.

Good luck,
    Tim, I'm going to have to agree with Steven on this one. Now the problem is finding the units at a salvage yard.

Good Luck

Chris
    2005 Silverado - 4.3L, 5spd Manual, K&N Drop in Filter, Modded Air box
    Kenwood KDC-MP732 Head Unit, Pioneer 760W Amp, 2x 10" MTX Thunder 6000 subs, Uniden PC68XL CB/PA

2004 Cavalier - 2.2L Auto
    Bone Stock

1977 Toyota Celica GT - 20R (2.2L), 5spd, 146,000 Miles all Original (even the clutch)

Ive got a 2005 silverado with the same problem. is there any way to replace those instrument panel lights?

Legend

Blog Entries

Gauge cluster, yes. Modules (a/c, radio, etc) no. You would have to pry the modules apart (aka "break them"), most likely unsolder and then resolder... I have no clue. I took apart a 4wd push-button module and it was apparent that the main (turning on the parking lights) bulbs could be replaced but the button themselves used LEDs...have a looksee here.

If you want to replace lights in the instrument cluster, then have a look at this thread. PMF608 did a great write-up on bulb swaps.
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

hi, I have chevy suburan 1500, my dashboard lights not working. I checked the fuses seem ok. The second what I found in this time is, when I turn on headlights the clock or radio number is lost. I do no know if these two things are associated together. Can you help me

Quote Originally Posted by Springthing View Post
    Gauge cluster, yes. Modules (a/c, radio, etc) no. You would have to pry the modules apart (aka "break them"), most likely unsolder and then resolder... I have no clue.
    I have done this on my Dodge Charger, which has soldered-down incandescent lights inside the a/c module. It was time well spent, and the new bulbs have lasted longer than the original. These sorts of failures are fairly common if you drive at night a good deal either as a result of your schedule or because you live at higher latitudes where there are short days in the winter. If you're reasonably good with a soldering iron, it's an easy fix. I was able to find some lights that worked at the local NAPA, not exact replacements but close enough.
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer