GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Headlight replacement

I am looking at getting new headlights and taillights for my 2002 GMC Sierra. The sun has taken its tole on them and they are hazing over.

I like the look of the projectors and LED's. I found a couple on ebay and parts train, but not sure if anyone has had any good/bad experiences with these types of units?

What is a good recommended replacement?
    2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD
    Crew Cab
    364 6.0L V8

Legend

Blog Entries

Have heard a lot of good, some bad. For the projector lights you just need to find what you like and make sure the look is what you want. A few people on here have put projector lights on and taken them off after a short while. They just didn't like the looks of them. I have two vehicles with projector lights and I like the light pattern I get with both, personally.

The LED taillights certainly add some ZING to the look of the truck, overall. Again you have to look around and find what fits with the style you are going for. If you have a jacked-up, big tired, black brushguard on dark pewter truck with black rims and black nerf bars... well, the chrome alezza (spelling?) taillights probably are going to look totally crappy and throw off the whole look of the truck!

I say look around the forums, maybe go to the photo albums and look around them all (you'll find a link on the top right to visit the Photo Gallery) and when you get an idea of what you are looking for you can have a look around.

Headlights and taillights are extremely simple to swap out, normally. Not much experience necessary.
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

Quote Originally Posted by Springthing View Post
    Have heard a lot of good, some bad. For the projector lights you just need to find what you like and make sure the look is what you want. A few people on here have put projector lights on and taken them off after a short while. They just didn't like the looks of them. I have two vehicles with projector lights and I like the light pattern I get with both, personally.

The LED taillights certainly add some ZING to the look of the truck, overall. Again you have to look around and find what fits with the style you are going for. If you have a jacked-up, big tired, black brushguard on dark pewter truck with black rims and black nerf bars... well, the chrome alezza (spelling?) taillights probably are going to look totally crappy and throw off the whole look of the truck!

I say look around the forums, maybe go to the photo albums and look around them all (you'll find a link on the top right to visit the Photo Gallery) and when you get an idea of what you are looking for you can have a look around.

Headlights and taillights are extremely simple to swap out, normally. Not much experience necessary.
    Thanks for the advice, I just wanted to make sure that people didnt have leaking/condensation problems and stuff like that with different brands.

I have had those type of problems with other vehicles and it is quite frustrating to have a new headlight look like there is a sauna inside of it!

You would be surprised...even some of the best OE lamps have condensation issues...venting is the key.

01 2500 Burb 8.1
    71 Cheyenne 502 675hp
    Certified Gatorhyde Dealer/installer

I have heard more problems with condesation on OEM lights than aftermarket. Go figure.

Chris
    2005 Silverado - 4.3L, 5spd Manual, K&N Drop in Filter, Modded Air box
    Kenwood KDC-MP732 Head Unit, Pioneer 760W Amp, 2x 10" MTX Thunder 6000 subs, Uniden PC68XL CB/PA

2004 Cavalier - 2.2L Auto
    Bone Stock

1977 Toyota Celica GT - 20R (2.2L), 5spd, 146,000 Miles all Original (even the clutch)

Quote Originally Posted by 05azsilver View Post
    I have heard more problems with condesation on OEM lights than aftermarket. Go figure.
    Wow that could be annoying

Legend

Blog Entries

If you want to ensure (or help prevent as much as possible) the moisture issue I was told to do two things.

The first is sticking the assemblies, on wet towels, in your oven on the lowest setting for 10 minutes or so, I think. Taking the assemblies out with gloves on, press the lens to the housing. This is supposed to help soften the glue and help smoosh it more to lessen gaps.

Following that take to the gap of the housing/lens with caulking/gasket sealer. Just run a bead all along he edge, then press the bead into the gap and smooth is down so you have one good continuous seal.

If you are proficient with google, give a quick search around for some key words and I'm sure you'll be able to find the information to which I am referring.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Springthing View Post
    If you want to ensure (or help prevent as much as possible) the moisture issue I was told to do two things.

The first is sticking the assemblies, on wet towels, in your oven on the lowest setting for 10 minutes or so, I think. Taking the assemblies out with gloves on, press the lens to the housing. This is supposed to help soften the glue and help smoosh it more to lessen gaps.

Following that take to the gap of the housing/lens with caulking/gasket sealer. Just run a bead all along he edge, then press the bead into the gap and smooth is down so you have one good continuous seal.

If you are proficient with google, give a quick search around for some key words and I'm sure you'll be able to find the information to which I am referring.

Good luck!
    I did something similar to one of my car that I was having this problem with. The outcome wasnt satisfatory. I had condensation after that as well. Turns out it was the seal of the bulb area (supposedly).

I'll just have to try my luck and post my experiences!

I have seen guys spray the reflectors in silver. It actually looks really uniform. Goes well with the chrome housing. These guys that i have seen do that are using paint that you mix up and put in a paint gun. Reason being is they are thinning it out so it will stil look some what reflective and see threw.

Quote Originally Posted by 2008blackWT View Post
    I have seen guys spray the reflectors in silver. It actually looks really uniform. Goes well with the chrome housing. These guys that i have seen do that are using paint that you mix up and put in a paint gun. Reason being is they are thinning it out so it will stil look some what reflective and see threw.
    That sounds pretty interesting! My original problem was the hazing of the plastic, the outside part. That is why I was looking at getting a replacement. I have wet sanded headlights before, it turns out ok for a short time. Just ALOT of work though.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by