GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default interior door handle not working - 99 Suburban

I've got a 99 GMC suburban. The interior door handle isn't working, but the exterior handle works fine.

A replacement handle is $29 from 1aauto. is that all i need to get the door working??

Yes, those things break pretty easy. I've replace them on three different trucks of the same body style.
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

Quote Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
    I've got a 99 GMC suburban. The interior door handle isn't working, but the exterior handle works fine.

A replacement handle is $29 from 1aauto. is that all i need to get the door working??
    Check around the local parts stores and there is a HELP section will kinds of oddball parts you need from time to time and they have the handles for around $15 at partsamerica/advance auto. Save you from having to pay shipping.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/Pro...ag=0&st=2&so=0

i shall check it out. thank you

also, another interior question. i've got the flip up center console in my front seat. the button no longer works to get it open. is there a fix for that or do I need to replace it?

For anybody who does a search and comes across this thread looking for advice... I was able to find a replacement handle assembly at my local auto parts store for $15. Problem was, it was only available in grey or black. I have tan interior... I was able to take the handle out of the grey assembly and put it into my tan assembly though. The biggest problem I ran into was that the original assembly was riveted into the metal insides of the door. I used a saw to cut the plastic tab off that was riveted in. Everything else was pretty straight forward...

HTH,
    -Mike

Awesome! I love if when people can get quick help to everyday problems! Makes my day.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Legend
    Blog Entries

I know I'm going to get laughed at for this one, but I will post it anyways for a good laugh. When I first bought my 05' Silverado, I had stopped at the grocery store and when my mom tried to get out of the rear door it wouldn't open from the inside. She started yelling that she couldn't get out, so I walked back and opened it up with no problem from the outside of the truck. It wouldn't open from the inside of the truck, but it would open from the outside. I took it to the dealer thinking that something had broke loose in the door, here come to find out there was a child safety switch built into the side of the door. You can only see it when the door is open, it is a little white switch that has a lock and unlock feature which my mom must have brushed up against with her leg when she got in. Talk about embarassing! I only brought this up, because yours is doing the same thing that mine was doing!
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap