GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Belt Squeal

Jr. Apprentice

i know this an old thread, but my situation is similar to some posts here except that im still halfway through troubleshooting - so im going to revive it for anyone that may still have the problem as well.

This particular squeak has eluded me for weeks now. I WILL FIND IT THOUGH DAMNIT! lol.

it is agitated by wet weather/water, or by getting the RPMs up. these are my steps so far:

1: replaced serp belt (went away for a few days, then came back.)
    2: replaced alternator. (no change)
    3: replaced an idler/tensioner pulley with very rough bearing movement. (no luck, and i could swear i lost HP after installing new one )
    4: discovered a temp solution of a few drops of brake fluid on the serp belt to keep the sqeak at bay for about a day.

i suspect AC belt or unit. will replace each separately next week and update with results...
    1995 Chevy S-10 Z71 4.3L
    2000 Chevy Silverado LT Z71 5.3L

having the same squeal and mine also started after putting on my intake however i dont see how that would have any effect.

i know for sure its not the serp belt so i guess i need to check the AC belt, bearings, and tensioner.

not too sure if this has anything to do with it but i noticed on simliar thread someone mentioned the AC compressor and i remembered that before fixing front end collision damage last summer i had to have vacuumed out all the AC gasses from the lines so i could un hook everything and never got the AC recharged, i did this before leaving for boot camp last summer so i forgot all about it and the guy who did it for me told me not to run the AC and now that its heating up i realised i ran my AC and couldnt figure out why it was spitting out hot air.

could that have an effect on the compressor that could be causing the squeal?
    will keep an update.
    90' Chevy Silverado 1500
    Suspension: Belltech 2" Drop Spindles
    Paint/Body: Silver Metalic w/ Red & White pinstriping, steel cowl induction hood, custom billet grille
    Interior/Electronics: Under Construction
    Wheels/Tires: American Racing Chrome Baja 17x8 / Wrapped in TOYO Proxes ST II
    Engine/Trans/Perf: EFI 5.7 Liter 350 cid V-8 w/ 700R4 Trans.
    K&N 57 Series FIPK II CAI
    40 series Flows

HOORAH SEABEE's!! :fighting0037:SHOOT TO KILL!!

i have replaced the alternator. and now replaced the belt and idle pulley. i still have a squeal gets worse after moving and sometimes stops when moving but still squeaking most of the time.
    01 silverado z71 5.3L

mods: kenwood mp238 hu w/ sirius satellite radio
    kenwood 3 way 6 3/4 front door speakers. kenwood 4x6 rear.
    blaupunkt 200a powered sub.
    flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust.
    k&n 57 series cai
    vent shields
    bug deflector
    garmin 755t gps

110,000 miles

future mods: throttle body spacer, new plugs and wires, and programmer. a/t or m/t tires.

Quote Originally Posted by szn9rg View Post
    Hi, this is my first post. I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado Z71 with the 5.3 engine. One belt application to the best of my knowledge. I had a slight belt squeal when the vehicle was first started and would usually go away sometime after the truck warmed up. Its cold in Ohio right now. I tried to spray some belt dressing on the belt and this really made the belt squeal or whatever is wrong. Now it doesn't go away after warmed up and does increase with engine RPM's. I just applied spray last night so it might wear off and quiet down some over time. What could be wrong to make the squeal worse after the belt dressing? The belt was replaced about a year ago. I did spray the belt dressing on both sides of the belt. One other thing is that the belt noise did go away right after I applied the belt dressing but didn't take very long for it to start squealing.
    check water pump

I know this is an old topic but i have a 02HD with 8.1L and only 66,000.miles and i have always had the this problem too. i have done everything to replace the drive. but still have the noise. i read that its probley a misalignment. if you spray some water on the belt and goes away or take the belt off and reverse it, or put a new one on. and it comes back, its a misalignment. i heard diesels have the same problem too. I just wonder if anyone heard if of power steering bracket or alt bracket or a/c bracket change to fix it. like the diesel motors have.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluewater View Post
    I had a 97 Blazer that made that noise and it turned out the idler or tension pulley had bad bearings.

I would concur. When a belt starts squealing, either the belt is a little longer than the original. If you can, remove it, go to your nearest auto store and get two same size but different manufacturers. Place them over your thumbs and pull them tight and see if they are the same. Sometimes, you will find one brand shorter than the other. This may work. Otherwise, your belt tensioner is about to go and cannot hold the tension like it once did when it was new.

i have the same problem but i figured out its the top pulley in dead center of the engine

Jr. Apprentice

totally forgot about this thread. i ended up fixing mine, the power steering pulley was misaligned. it took me so long, because i was told by a certified mechanic that 'it wouldnt matter if it was off, the belt/tensioner is built to compensate for that'. well, he was wrong and i was out like $500 of stuff i didnt need :P

How did you align the power steering pulley
    Thanks

Jr. Apprentice

i believe the bracket/brace that holds it is adjustable. two bolts iirc

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123