GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Most Miles?

Default Most Miles?

Im new to the Chevy brand. I just bought a used Yukon Denali with the 6 liter engine. I know it's all relative, but in general how many miles can I expect out of this engine? 200k? Who has the most?

I want to drive this thing for a LONG time. I sold a Ford F250 Crew with the 7.3 diesel. I was never worried about high miles with that.

Thanks for any replies. By the way, this Denali is so nice I actually feel guilty driving it.

I have a '95 Suburban with a 5.7L V8 with 230k miles on the engine and transmission. The only thing I've done to the inside of the engine is to change the valve-stem seals about 30k miles ago.

I don't know if it helps or not, but I follow the 'severe service' maintenance intervals in the owner's manual. This means I change engine and transmission oil more often than usual.

I'm sure there are other trucks out there running around with much higher mileage.
    Kirk
    Norwalk, CT

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by midwest View Post
    Im new to the Chevy brand. I just bought a used Yukon Denali with the 6 liter engine. I know it's all relative, but in general how many miles can I expect out of this engine? 200k? Who has the most?

I want to drive this thing for a LONG time. I sold a Ford F250 Crew with the 7.3 diesel. I was never worried about high miles with that.

Thanks for any replies. By the way, this Denali is so nice I actually feel guilty driving it.

I have 184K on mine and the engine is fine. Tranny not so much... As KirkW said, it's all about doing the preventative maint as it is due. Most people seem to forget that is why they call it preventative in the first place! I can't stress enough how important it is to keep up with that! Your engine and transmission, when properly serviced an not abused, will last probably longer than you actually want to keep the vehicle. It's all in how you take care of it in the first place... Good luck and happy motoring!

PS... Your old 7.3 was the best diesel ford used! The 6.0 6.9 and the new 6.4 not so good.
    Live Life Out Loud but be soft spoken enough to listen to it talk to you! Then drive it like you stole it!:glasses:

Regarding the transmission - GM introduced a "deep sump" oil pan for the 4L60E transmission that holds an extra two quarts of fluid and (joy of joys!) has an honest-to-goodness drain plug. I installed it on my '95 Suburban, but I believe all 2000 and newer models have it installed from the factory.

The extra fluid helps keep the transmission cooler, better lubricated, and lasting longer.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

I bought my 1998 2wd Suburban 20 months ago with 195,000 miles on it.The trans was rebuilt at 185,000 miles.I have replaced a few things-brake booster, radiator, water pump, belt tensioner- usual stuff.
    It has 208,300 miles on it now.
    I think the rear main seal is leaking-not too much, but looks like some week I'm going to be a busy guy.

I would be tempted to replace the entire motor-since I have to pull the trans etc-to do the seal, but this one gets such great mpg-15 in city-21 hy-that it is worth repairing.

You'll gets lots of miles from the motor-I would expect 200,000 miles with a troube free motor.The trans usually start to break at 125,000-185,000 or so.
    Luck,
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA