GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Are you sure you are chasing the correct code....in this case, P0446 ???....I was chasing the wrong code, mine was P0449, had to replace the Evap Soleniod.
    *Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"

other than what folks are saying here about blowing it out....I have no other ideas. if by chance you have to replace the Evap Solenoid as I did, definetly don't go the dealer route, they wanted to sell me an entire upgrade kit for over $150....got the exact replacement part from RockAuto for $27 shipped, three driving cycles later the Check Engine Light went out

check your fuel cap, wiggle it, does it move at all, even just a little? if so replace it and then clear your engine codes at autozone or advance auto. i have found that worn out fuel caps is a big cause of a check engine light b/c of a evap leak

Quote Originally Posted by Peckens View Post
    check your fuel cap, wiggle it, does it move at all, even just a little? if so replace it and then clear your engine codes at autozone or advance auto. i have found that worn out fuel caps is a big cause of a check engine light b/c of a evap leak
    I was told it is not that the cap is loose or worn it's that the little vents are clogged in it. Mechanic also told me that a hole the size of a human hair in the evap system can cause the error code to pop up. In other words he told me good luck finding it. I love GM mechanics. lol!!
    1997 Chevy K3500
    4x4 X-Cab Dually
    454 Dual Exhaust

what's your thoughts on the smoke test?

Sr. Apprentice

Guys did you read the wrote up in my first post? po446 means your vent valve is clogged, it has nothing to do with a leak or gas cap issue. If your gas cap is leaking or there is a leak in the system, a po449 will be set. Again if your vehicle is setting code po446, either try blowing out the evap vent valve or replace it with the updated part.
    2003 Silverado LS 1500 Xcab 5.3 vortec 3.73 rear.
    2000 Artic White Buick Regal GS, 3.4 pulley, 3"dp, 13.81 @ 101 (sold)
    2002 Z28 Camaro, 1sc, a4, slp lid, headers, cb exhaust, 3.73

If your gas cap wiggles your gasket is bad and it will allow leakage of air into the system. I replace the old gasket with an "O" ring from a hardware store. The O ring is non-collapsible and lasts a lot longer than the stock gasket.

Code reset is easy, just disconnect negative wire from battery for a minute, then bolt it back up.
    You have to reset all your presets (radio, seat memory etc.) but it is easy. Also codes should clear themselves after a prescribed number of engine restarts, but I forget how many it is.

The vent system cleanout is a good post, I would not however spray any WD-40 on a filter element that is supposed to be dry.

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by justcuz View Post

The vent system cleanout is a good post, I would not however spray any WD-40 on a filter element that is supposed to be dry.
    Correct use compressed air only, no wd-40 lol...

SES light came on and Autozone said it was throwing a code P0446. Anyone happen to know where this part would be located on a 1999 Yukon Denali 4X4? Looked up under the by the gas tank but couldnt seem to find anything that looked like a canister shown in forum pics. Any help on finding where this would be located would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast