GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

2003 Chevy Avalanche (1500 series)

Code P0446 triggered.

So I replaced my EVAP canister vent solenoid. While the hose was removed from the canister, I also removed the hose from other end of the large black rectangular box in front of gas tank and blew out the hose/line with compressed air - after a number of vehicle starts I still have the code.

Does anyone have any ideas?

By the way, what is the black plastic rectangle in front of gas tank that the hose from the EVAP canister vent solenoid is connected to?

TIA
    Last edited by SpottyJ; 10-13-2010 at 06:19 PM.

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by SpottyJ View Post
    2003 Chevy Avalanche (1500 series)

Code P0446 triggered.

So I replaced my EVAP canister vent solenoid. While the hose was removed from the canister, I also removed the hose from other end of the large black rectangular box in front of gas tank and blew out the hose/line with compressed air - after a number of vehicle starts I still have the code.

Does anyone have any ideas?

By the way, what is the black plastic rectangle in front of gas tank that the hose from the EVAP canister vent solenoid is connected to?

TIA
    Is it the same p0446 code popping up? Sometime after I fixed my vent valve, a code started popping up again and it was p0449. Wich is a small leak detected... wich is usually the gas cap seal. I had 2 problems goin on at the same time.
    2003 Silverado LS 1500 Xcab 5.3 vortec 3.73 rear.
    2000 Artic White Buick Regal GS, 3.4 pulley, 3"dp, 13.81 @ 101 (sold)
    2002 Z28 Camaro, 1sc, a4, slp lid, headers, cb exhaust, 3.73

Quote Originally Posted by kinglt1 View Post
    Is it the same p0446 code popping up? Sometime after I fixed my vent valve, a code started popping up again and it was p0449. Wich is a small leak detected... wich is usually the gas cap seal. I had 2 problems goin on at the same time.
    Yes, P0446 remains. (I hadswapped gas caps early on trying to repair.)

Had already replaced the canister, and cleaned the fileter in the canister and still triggered the code. So I finally tried blowing out the line (as suggested) and after about a week (+) the code went away. Code has been gone for approximately 3 weeks.

THANKS!

BTW, I drive on a dusty dirt road every day.

I have a question i have an 2005 silverado that has the same problem and i need to know where that filter is to clean it out and i also have an 2006 silverado with the same problem can someone help me on finding the problem out thanks mark

Hi All. I'm new. I am having the P0446 code problem on my 2001 GMC 3500 8.1L. So far I have replaced the canister vent valve with the dealer relocation kit. I have cleaned the electrical connections and re-installed all the tubing connections a couple of times and for kicks I replaced the fuel cap. I then clear the code. I still get the lite and code after I get the drive cycles correct. It seems after reading more about this I may need to drive more drive cycles before this code will turn itself off? I feel I'm missing something. This tread is helpful but I am now stumped. Thanks for any help. Rick.......

Hi All. Was unable to figure this out so I took it to the dealer. I'm needing to smog the vehicle so under a time limit. It turns out my tank preasure senser was bad and this seems to have cured it. What I don't understand is the tank preasure senser was not in the recomendations for code P0446 or did I miss somthing? I realize some codes do cross over but I only had the one code. I am still interested in understanding this problem if someone can explain. Thanks. Rick....

I wanted to bump this becuase it gets so much traffic. Thanks to everyone for all their input on this topic.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by rick3500 View Post
    Hi All. I'm new. I am having the P0446 code problem on my 2001 GMC 3500 8.1L. So far I have replaced the canister vent valve with the dealer relocation kit. I have cleaned the electrical connections and re-installed all the tubing connections a couple of times and for kicks I replaced the fuel cap. I then clear the code. I still get the lite and code after I get the drive cycles correct. It seems after reading more about this I may need to drive more drive cycles before this code will turn itself off? I feel I'm missing something. This tread is helpful but I am now stumped. Thanks for any help. Rick.......
    From my understanding codes can cross... especially on emission related dtc's. My truck has thrown 2 different evap codes for just the gas cap lol. Although I never get the po446 since I cleaned the vent valve. the evap system on these trucks is flawed by design imo...

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rick3500 View Post
    Hi All. Was unable to figure this out so I took it to the dealer. I'm needing to smog the vehicle so under a time limit. It turns out my tank preasure senser was bad and this seems to have cured it. What I don't understand is the tank preasure senser was not in the recomendations for code P0446 or did I miss somthing? I realize some codes do cross over but I only had the one code. I am still interested in understanding this problem if someone can explain. Thanks. Rick....
    If you do research on dtc p0446, there is no related information about tank pressure sensor being a problem(that I have found anyways...). Im willing to bet you had a couple issues going on and the code crossed. Meaning you had a vent valve issue and a pressure sensor issue and the computer only set p0446. I have seen obd2 systems do the same thing with o2 sensor codes. Again Im pretty sure emission codes will cross....

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by silverado2005 View Post
    I have a question i have an 2005 silverado that has the same problem and i need to know where that filter is to clean it out and i also have an 2006 silverado with the same problem can someone help me on finding the problem out thanks mark
    refer to the picture on page 1
    2003 Silverado LS 1500 Xcab 5.3 vortec 3.73 rear.
    2000 Artic White Buick Regal GS, 3.4 pulley, 3"dp, 13.81 @ 101 (sold)
    2002 Z28 Camaro, 1sc, a4, slp lid, headers, cb exhaust, 3.73

I have had the P0446 for some time now. I keep blowing the canister out. The first time I had chunks of dirt from accumilated dust etc. The code went away. But it keeps coming back. I keep blowing it out and so on. Is there any long term effect or damage to any system if I just keep clearing the code? In recent times everytime I check the canister it really isnt that dirty/dusty. Is relocating it really going to help?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast