GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Programmer & Upgrades

So i have a 2002 Silverado 1500, with a 4.3L V6 Engine, i was wondering what would be a good programmer for my truck? Also what would be some good performance upgrades that dont cost to much?
    2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 4.3 V6

I've been very happy with my Hypertech Max Energy programmer, but I do have a different engine than you. As far as I'm concerned, the most cost efficient performance upgrade is an intake, the second being exhaust. Helping the engine breathe makes a big difference.
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

2005 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 5.3L 2WD
    K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
    Suspension Leveling Kit
    Putco Element Window Visors
    Carriage Works Billet Grille
    TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover

Intake, headers and exhaust are where I always start. A programmer would be a great addition as well. Beyond that, it depends on what your budget is.
    Chevy Accessories
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

I would consider this: Forget about the programmer...talk to Justin over at Blackbear Performance, and he'll get you setup with a new custom computer module. In my case that was much, much better than the off-the-shelf stuff. Google it - he's got a web page. Its a little more expense but worth it.

New air intake and exhaust will help also. The other upgrades are just like pounding sand down a rat hole, IMO.

These three upgrades seem to get you the most bang for your buck...
    '87 C2500 Burb, 5.7L 567k miles, dino oil changed every 10~12k
    '97 K2500 Burb, 5.7L 148k miles, dino oil

Exhaust and CAI are both good performance upgrades. Also if you are not using synthetic motor oil I would switch your fluids over. Synthetics will improve you millage,keep your engine cleaner, better cold starting, and most of all save you money.

Let me know if I can help out.
    Scott
    2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Preferred Customers Save up to 30% Click here!!!
    Executive Direct Jobber ZO# 1695636
    Scott Douglass 248-721-1002
    Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

More on Blackbear

I just did the standard version for around $260 if you keep the core. MPG is around 1~2mpg better (that wasn't what I asked for...you tell him what you want specifically), but the power increase is very, very, very good. He also fixes up the shift points for you. Its amazing how constipated the factory settings are. Compared to the off-the-shelf stuff this was much, much better for me, and I tried both routes.

The data cable version would be even more precise for your vehicle, I would go that way if possible.

Everybody who drives the rig now makes comments, even if they don't know about the upgrade. "What did you do to this...This is cool!" is generally what they say...

Legend

Thats great, I had been hearing about him but hadnt heard any real gains or opinions
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Thumbs up progrmmer and upgrades

Ive said this on other replys on this site, but I like the Diablo programmer. After you install what tune you what (87 91 93octane) you can adjust these for you truck, add timing, injector slope, shift points and much, much more. Just take your time,read the instructions and go to there website for more tuning info. The nice thing about programmers is you can change your tune and not have to send your trucks computer back to tuners or pay deposite on another truck computer. There are alot of people out there that are good tuners, and some that are not. If you really want to get your truck tuned dialed in, try looking for a Diablo tuning dealer near you.

I have the Max Energy for my 4.3. It definitely helped but a custom tune would be much better. I got a deal on mine is why I got it. I looked last year for the Diablo programmer but it's not for the 4.3. A bored throttle body from cfmtech is a great addition...love mine. Throttle response was improved, especially.
    http://marine-performance-parts.com/...tlebodies.aspx

- '07 Silverado Classic - 4.3, 5spd, reg. cab, short bed, 2wd, silver....Magnaflow, K&N 63series kit, Hypertech Max Energy, CFM Tech tb, 180* tstat, McGaughys 2/4 drop, 275/55-17 tires(stock painted rims), billet grill, Pioneer cd, Sony Xplod speakers/sub, 1000w Crunch amp. Jba headers and Wynjammer s/c coming soon!
    - '98 Grand Prix GTP - modded - *SOLD*